Widgets Magazine
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: State of the City 2024

1. Default Re: State of the City 2024

Quote Originally Posted by The View Post
    This. Bamarsha is just making things up.
    Actually read what I wrote... I said "not saying it will happen". Conferences like to talk the talk, but don't always walk the walk. Neither me nor you can say for sure that the Big 10 might do in the future. I can tell you what they say and that the AAU is a deal breaker. Nebraska lost the accreditation and haven't been kicked out yet, so they aren't walking the walk (at least in a timely fashion, so far).

Default Re: State of the City 2024

Quote Originally Posted by bamarsha View Post
    Actually read what I wrote... I said "not saying it will happen". Conferences like to talk the talk, but don't always walk the walk. Neither me nor you can say for sure that the Big 10 might do in the future. I can tell you what they say and that the AAU is a deal breaker. Nebraska lost the accreditation and haven't been kicked out yet, so they aren't walking the walk (at least in a timely fashion, so far).
    We all read what you wrote. There's no reason to suggest that it is even a possibility. The Big 10 has not indicated that it would kick a conference member out because of AAU status. Football has dramatically more influence on conferences than AAU status. Besides the fact that it would be unprecedented for something like what you're suggesting to happen. That's why everyone responded to you dismissing the possibility. Because there's no evidence to support it.

I'd also like to state that as a professor who has worked at 4 universities over 15+ years, I've never once heard any academic ever mention conference membership. Ever. Maybe there are some meaningful academic connections that matter, but it certainly does not matter to anyone working in academia besides administrators.

3. Default Re: State of the City 2024

Quote Originally Posted by dankrutka View Post
    We all read what you wrote. There's no reason to suggest that it is even a possibility. The Big 10 has not indicated that it would kick a conference member out because of AAU status. Football has dramatically more influence on conferences than AAU status. Besides the fact that it would be unprecedented for something like what you're suggesting to happen. That's why everyone responded to you dismissing the possibility. Because there's no evidence to support it.

I'd also like to state that as a professor who has worked at 4 universities over 15+ years, I've never once heard any academic ever mention conference membership. Ever. Maybe there are some meaningful academic connections that matter, but it certainly does not matter to anyone working in academia besides administrators.
    I mean, you can have your opinion, but reality is that it is a possibility (though small). Unlike you, I am not making this up... here are some random sources that say as much. Notice, they didn't say it will happen, they said it could happen... the exact same thing I said. Money talks and that means football talks more than academics in colleges (however sad that may be).

https://flywareagle.com/posts/rumor-...-accreditation

https://nebraskaexaminer.com/2024/01...unl-unmc-ties/

https://gotula.net/viewtopic.php?t=14831

Let's please move on.

Quote Originally Posted by bamarsha View Post
    nebraksa lost AAU status BEFORE it officially joined the big 10 .. not after ..

This conference discussion is really boring, please lets move on or create a new topic. Conferences are created for athletics, other than that, no one gives a s**t.

Quote Originally Posted by kswright29 View Post
    This conference discussion is really boring, please lets move on or create a new topic. Conferences are created for athletics, other than that, no one gives a s**t.
    ^ kswright29 is absolutely NOT SEC ready.

Thread Information