Widgets Magazine

Thread: Shed?

Default Shed?

I'm needing a cheap outdoor storage solution probably about 8x10 it will mainly be used for Christmas decorations and storage totes. My question is how well do these metal sheds really hold up in Oklahoma am I better off going with resin or wood.

Default Re: Shed?

I bought an 8 x 10 resin/combo shed from Costco and installed it myself.

You have to install a foundation; I used a honeycomb paver base filled with gravel; otherwise you have to pay or pour a big concrete pad.

3. Default Re: Shed?

I originally had a metal shed that did not hold up and then replaced it with a wooden shed which rotted and fell apart after 10 years. I looked for a backyard shed for several months. I did a lot of research and comparisons. I was finally convinced that Tuff Shed has the best out there. They came out and built it on site using zinc plated steel supports underneath with a resin floor, 20-year paint and a 50-year roof. I have had it for 10 years not and it looks as good as the day it was installed. no signs or weather or rot. I store valuable vintage motorcycles and my lawn equipment in it safely.

Quote Originally Posted by GaryOKC6 View Post
    I originally had a metal shed that did not hold up and then replaced it with a wooden shed which rotted and fell apart after 10 years. I looked for a backyard shed for several months. I did a lot of research and comparisons. I was finally convinced that Tuff Shed has the best out there. They came out and built it on site using zinc plated steel supports underneath with a resin floor, 20-year paint and a 50-year roof. I have had it for 10 years not and it looks as good as the day it was installed. no signs or weather or rot. I store valuable vintage motorcycles and my lawn equipment in it safely.
    Thanks. I was wondering if the wood sheds rot over time. I'm leaning towards cheap metal as there will be nothing of value being stored inside. I have been in touch with tuff shed but their low end 8 by 10 run $3,800. I can't really justify that much for storing Christmas decorations and it's going to go on my side yard that has no windows in my house that way so it's something that i will never see even when I'm in my backyard on my porch I can't see that part of the yard. They used to be in my attic but as I'm getting old it's getting harder for me to get them up and down the ladder. I'll keep looking.

The word "shed" will forevermore make me think of this: https://youtu.be/iRpTb-OZTxk?si=E_gOi_qlyVanu1WZ

The photo that I posted is of a Keter shed, which is resin and then a wood/resin composite.

I bought mine from Costco and they delivered right to my driveway for no charge. It was in a pile of flats I had to unpack but I did the entire thing myself, even the roof which they said needed at least 3 people. Not including the foundation, I built the entire thing in 2 days and the instructions were very good.

The good thing about the composite material is you can drill into it like wood, but it's maintenance-free. Mine is about 5 years old and looks brand new. I have all my Christmas stuff in there and it's been completely weather-tight through all the crazy Oklahoma storms.

You can buy a 7x9 from Costco for $1.4K, which includes free shipping.

https://www.costco.com/keter-cortina...000117498.html

If you have the room I'd get the Costco one. It's definitely the best value and they're not difficult to assemble. Just make sure you have a good foundation. I bought a small plastic shed with a sliding top from Home Depot for around $400. It's about chest high and can't be seen behind a fence if that's important to you. My HOA doesn't allow sheds but they've never seen mine on the side of the house. I only store lawn and pool stuff in it. It's held up well but its not weather tight but I've never locked it up tight. The top has been cooked pretty good over the last 10+ years but I'd purchase another if I needed to. Assembly was very easy with plastic screws.

Thanks everyone. I currently don't have a costco membership but probably will go with a resin type and they seem to be in the middle of the cost between wood and metal.

Quote Originally Posted by kukblue1 View Post
    Thanks everyone. I currently don't have a costco membership but probably will go with a resin type and they seem to be in the middle of the cost between wood and metal.
    It's worth getting a card if they have something you want. That free shipping thing is hard to beat.

Quote Originally Posted by kukblue1 View Post
    It's worth getting a card if they have something you want. That free shipping thing is hard to beat; Sam's doesn't even offer it and it will save you $200-$300.

Thread Information