Widgets Magazine
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Bibbs Smokehouse (formerly The Mantel)

1. Default Re: Bibbs Smokehouse (formerly The Mantel)

Quote Originally Posted by macfoucin View Post
    We ate at Bibbs once in Norman and wasn't very impressed. Wish them the best of luck though at this location.
    I had the same experience. I think they need to up their game if the want to make it in Bricktown.

Default Re: Bibbs Smokehouse (formerly The Mantel)

We have had it and loved it, maybe we are biased because we know them, but it was solid food. I wish them well and it is so much closer than LTB.

Oh boy, another BBQ joint. Why couldn't we have another hamburger or taco joint instead? Or even Mexican? Who would even consider another decent steak house, seafood? Or better yet a real Greek restaurant since we're overrun with those. Oh well; big, dramatic sigh.

Quote Originally Posted by rjstone208 View Post
    Oh boy, another BBQ joint. Why couldn't we have another hamburger or taco joint instead? Or even Mexican? Who would even consider another decent steak house, seafood? Or better yet a real Greek restaurant since we're overrun with those. Oh well; big, dramatic sigh.
    How many BBQ restaurants are there in Bricktown? I will wait...

Your comment really, REALLY makes no sense. Would you want Paraguaian food on a prime corner in Bricktown? Another steakhouse, with one right next door?

I'd love to see them convert more of those parking spaces into a larger patio, or something else to activate that space with good urbanist design. Those parking spots really make that corner feel dead even though there's a restaurant right there.

There is a really nice covered patio that should now get good use.

That is a really key corner for Bricktown.

The point isn't the location or what goes in there. We ate at the Mantel several times and loved it. Hate to see it go. It's how many more BBQ or hamburger or taco and anything other thing we have an abundance of and cuisines we don't have much of. Just a plain 'ole family style restaurant with a variety of menu items would be good. Doesn't have to be fancy with a $60 price tag for a 12 oz piece of meat.

There is already a huge variety in and around Bricktown but not one BBQ place anywhere near.

As far as family restaurants: Rendezvous Pizza, Toby Keith's, Spaghetti Factory, Bourbon Street, Abuelo's, Brickopolis, Fuel, Fuzzy's, Dave's, IHOP, Marble Slab, Revolutions, Texadelphia, Yucatan, The Wedge, Deep Deuce Grill, Spark... I'm sure I'm missing others. And before you say "those aren't family restaurants" go into any of them on an early weekend evening. Tons of families.

9. Default Re: Bibbs Smokehouse (formerly The Mantel)

I thought TOby Keith's was a bbq place but I guess they just have some of it on their menu. Anyway, I think this is a great idea.
    Oklahoma City, the RENAISSANCE CITY!

10. Default Re: Bibbs Smokehouse (formerly The Mantel)

Quote Originally Posted by HOT ROD View Post
    I thought TOby Keith's was a bbq place but I guess they just have some of it on their menu. Anyway, I think this is a great idea.
    Toby Keith's menu is basically every other Hal Smith restaurant menu with different names for the same dishes. A few variations at each concept but HSRG has a template and it works very well for them.

11. Default Re: Bibbs Smokehouse (formerly The Mantel)

Has anyone been yet? Interested to hear how it compares to their old Thunderbird location.

12. Default Re: Bibbs Smokehouse (formerly The Mantel)

Quote Originally Posted by s00nr1 View Post
    Has anyone been yet? Interested to hear how it compares to their old Thunderbird location.
    I had it once last month. I wasn't impressed with the Brisket, but some of the sides are pretty decent and the "Fried Pork Skin" appetizer is tasty. I think this is fine for Bricktown and the regulars that spend time down there, but I think the BBQ is pretty weak.

Bibbs posted on social media that they have closed all locations, so that must mean Norman and Spencer.

I drove by Bibbs last Thursday around 8 pm and there were a bunch of homeless people sleeping in the patio area. Sure didn’t see any other sign of life there.

Thread Information