Widgets Magazine
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Going caffeine free

Default Re: Going caffeine free

Two other completely American Business Manufactured popular drinks: orange/fruit juice and milk.

Juice of course is just pure sugar.

But why on earth are humans drinking cow's milk?? Stop and think about that for a minute.

The only reason these things are so common in the American diet is the huge industries and marketing campaigns behind them.

2. Default Re: Going caffeine free

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    Two other completely American Business Manufactured popular drinks: orange/fruit juice and milk.

Juice of course is just pure sugar.

But why on earth are humans drinking cow's milk?? Stop and think about that for a minute.

The only reason these things are so common in the American diet is the huge industries and marketing campaigns behind them.
    Sorry, I stand by my enjoyment of milk. This is my only contribution to this thread.

Adults like cows' milk because they are fed it at an early age and consistently throughout their childhood.

The reason 65% of adults are lactose intolerant is because it is something we were never meant to consume.

It just goes to show how big business indoctrinates us and we never even realize it. Stop and think about what milk actually is.

4. Default Re: Going caffeine free

Something else no one ever considers about cow's milk.... It's designed to grow a 60-100 lb calf into a 360 lb calf in about 120 days.

5. Default Re: Going caffeine free

Growing up, we were not allowed to drink Whole milk, but my parents just gave us Skim milk, which has sugar. Apple juice and skim milk were not a good combo, but they thought it was good for us. Haha!

Quote Originally Posted by BoulderSooner View Post
    i wonder how many of those that are drinking coffee everyday .. have quite a bit of cream and sugar?? vs just black??
    3-5 cups a day. Always black but an occasional splurge by adding baileys on weekends or when travelling. I love it but too heavy and to many calories to add other than a splurge

Quote Originally Posted by Tyson View Post
    Sorry, I stand by my enjoyment of milk. This is my only contribution to this thread.
    I'm with you. Cheerios call for milk, not nut juice from almonds. Being of central European ancestry, lactose intolerance is not in my genes.
    https://inside.hochdorf.com/en/actos...est%20you%20go.

^

Cereal is another invention by American Big Business. Almost nobody else eats it.

^

Cereal is another invention by American Big Business. Almost nobody else eats it.
    "Almost nobody else eats it" does not appear to be the case
    https://www.glanbianutritionals.com/...1%20and%202023.

Quote Originally Posted by Jersey Boss View Post
    "Nobody else eating it" does not appear to be the case
    https://www.glanbianutritionals.com/...1%20and%202023.
    To the extent it is elsewhere, it was just invented in America and then marketed to other countries by big American conglomerates, just like coffee, soda, and energy drinks.

This stuff is all highly, highly processed crap.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeepnokc View Post
    3-5 cups a day. Always black but an occasional splurge by adding baileys on weekends or when travelling. I love it but too heavy and to many calories to add other than a splurge
    this is what i do as well ..

To the extent it is elsewhere, it was just invented in America and then marketed to other countries by big American conglomerates, just like coffee, soda, and energy drinks.

This stuff is all highly, highly processed crap.
    coffee has been around for hundreds of years all over the world ..

Yet, nobody consumes it like the U.S. which is the point.

1 – Finland: 26.45 Lbs Per Capita
    2 – Norway: 21.82 Lbs Per Capita
    3 – Iceland: 19.84 Lbs Per Capita
    4 – Denmark: 19.18 Lbs Per Capita
    5 – Netherlands: 18.52 Lbs Per Capita
    6 – Sweden: 18 Lbs Per Capita
    7 – Switzerland: 17.42 Lbs Per Capita
    8 – Belgium: 15 Lbs Per Capita
    9 – Luxembourg: 14.33 Lbs Per Capita
    10 – Canada: 14.33 Lbs Per Capita
    25 – United States: 9.26 Lbs Per Capita

Or by "Like the US", do you mean with all the various coffee-based drinks?

^

That can't possibly include the millions of people who line up every morning at Starbucks and the thousands of other coffee places in the U.S., often for huge portions.

Anyway, if you don't think the U.S. has a massive caffeine addiction, you are just denying common sense. And 95% of this has happened in just the last 25 years or so.

The US is pretty much an outlier for excess in pretty much everything, not a surprise.

^

That can't possibly include the millions of people who line up every morning at Starbucks and the thousands of other coffee places in the U.S., often for huge portions.

Anyway, if you don't think the U.S. has a massive caffeine addiction, you are just denying common sense. And 95% of this has happened in just the last 25 years or so.
    Not sure why you assume I "don't think the US has a massive caffeine addiction". I didn't say anything about that. I only posted the data regarding worldwide coffee consumption trends.

Since just over 50% of the US consumes coffee regularly, if you just ballpark two shots of espresso per day (assuming daily starbucks for those 50%), then you end up with like, per capita, 4.5 grams of coffee per day. If we round up to 5, then we have 1.82 kg yearly per capita. 1.82 kg is about 4 lbs per year per capita if everyone who drinks coffee had Starbucks daily.

If everyone in the US all got Iced Ventis (3 shots) daily then we would still come in around 11 lbs per year per capita, so we still wouldn't break into the top 10.

A standard cup of drip coffee needs about 10 g, so if half the coffee drinkers drank drip and half espresso from Starbucks, you would end up with 8lbs per year for drips and 2lbs per year for shots, for a total of 10lbs per year.

So it's likely the 9.26 lbs per capita is in the ballpark.

https://worldpopulationreview.com/co...ion-by-country

this is a pretty good article ..

the average American is not close to 4 cups of coffee a day ..

^

Plus soda, plus tea, plus energy drinks...

Again, we're talking about caffeine consumption.

^

Plus soda, plus tea, plus energy drinks...

Again, we're talking about caffeine consumption.

Sorry, I must have misunderstood your comment.

This thread... I read that alcohol--in any amount was bad for you.. it was causing issues, so I quit it. Haven't had a drink in years. I don't really miss it all that much.

I never did use tobbacco.

But caffeine? Say it isn't so.

Quote Originally Posted by Midtowner View Post
    This thread... I read that alcohol--in any amount was bad for you.. it was causing issues, so I quit it. Haven't had a drink in years. I don't really miss it all that much.

I never did use tobbacco.

But caffeine? Say it isn't so.
    I'm not sure why there's a consensus that all caffeine is bad for you. In the beginning of this thread I shared studies that indicate health benefits from caffeinated coffee. Of course, there are also downsides. My big takeaway isn't that all coffee is bad, but it should be used thoughtfully, in moderation, and people should pay attention to how it affects their lives. But evidence doesn't seem to suggest that it should be put in the same category as alcohol, which is always bad for you (and which I still drink in moderation). For me, I no longer have coffee everyday, but intentionally have one cup when I need a boost. It's working great!

Somehow, caffeine has become an accepted and even fashionable addiction.

Reminds me of smoking in the 60s (although not as bad for you).

Somehow, caffeine has become an accepted and even fashionable addiction.

Reminds me of smoking in the 60s (although not as bad for you).
    i think the point is there is no conclusive evidence that caffeine (in moderation) is bad for you

i think the point is there is no conclusive evidence that caffeine (in moderation) is bad for you
    Just like smoking wasn't considered bad for a long time; doctors would actually endorse cigarettes on TV.

Or the BS about how 1-2 drinks a day was good for you... Or that pot isn't bad for you...

You never know the effects of long-term use until there is a big population using for decades, and the widespread consumption of large amounts of caffeine is still a relatively new thing.

Thread Information