Widgets Magazine
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: OK River Pedestrian Bridge

Default Re: OK River Pedestrian Bridge

I just asked Blair Humphries and he said the funding is in place as part of the 2017 general obligation bond but the city has yet to hire an architect or start any definite planning.

Are there any updates on this?

Blog Entries

I can't find any progress on this, but I do see it's on the map as a project:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Capture.jpg 
Views:	124 
Size:	25.7 KB 
ID:	16492

And on this summary doc it's still listed as "proposed":
    https://data.okc.gov/portal/custom/v...reetssafercity

For some strange reason, the Oklahoman has a story today about this bridge.

I've had all these images for a couple of years (including the drone shots I took) but have been sitting on them because nothing has been happening. The article says they plan to start in 2024 and that only a very basic bridge is planned with other enhancements possible if additional funding is identified.

Design is by AHMM.

So you got a Monday's paper today 12/26/2022? Because we were delivered Friday's paper again today on Monday.

Quote Originally Posted by gjl View Post
    So you got a Monday's paper today 12/26/2022? Because we were delivered Friday's paper again today on Monday.
    I only get the online version.

Blog Entries

Like Pete, I get the online version, It includes Sunday's (paper & online) versions unless you designate to donate the Sunday paper edition.. My plan (billed every 3rd month ($100.00) to my credit card is equivalent to $33.33 a month. The Sunday paper, I donate to a school.

Often you will see the pattern Pete mentions where the Oklahoman (As big as an entity it is) appears to follow the OKCTalk.com lead.

Lately, it appears Mr. Lackmeyers' strategy is getting to be contagious among his co-workers. Strange occurrence how his articles' appear to be a day late and a dollar short.

It was puzzling at first when Pete first pointed this out after he started showing impressive Drone shots of our city.

My initial impression, why would the Oklahoman 'cherry pick' from an online source--OKCTalk.com. My opinion as I continued to follow the online Oklahoman--this happens far too many times for this to be a coincidence, Pete, cited several of these in real time. OKCTalk.com comes out with a story and it's later followed up by the Oklahoman with their version which looks quite similar.

It's IMO shameful that a city's main daily paper relies on side feature stories picked up from/off the internet to expand its news.

8. Default Re: OK River Pedestrian Bridge

A few years ago I went across the current wooden bridge. I wouldn't do it now. I'm surprised they never blocked it off. That will be a good place for a real pedestrian bridge.

I carried my bike over the current railroad bridge earlier this year, we thought it might be an easy shortcut. I definitely puckered up more than once on a few of the loose cross ties, and we didn't walk back over it a second time. Excited for a real bridge.

10. Default Re: OK River Pedestrian Bridge

Quote Originally Posted by eeyore View Post
    I carried my bike over the current railroad bridge earlier this year, we thought it might be an easy shortcut. I definitely puckered up more than once on a few of the loose cross ties, and we didn't walk back over it a second time. Excited for a real bridge.
    Yeah. We were puckered too. My best friend and I are geocachers and there's a cache about halfway across the bridge. He's made it to worse but that was about my limit.

It's crazy that this thread started in 2017 and we still don't have this bridge yet. As a resident of Wheeler I would love it to be done sometime soon. I think it was mentioned at our last HOA meeting that it would be done in 2024. I am not sure how much I will use this bridge as a pedestrian because I mostly run from my house to downtown and use the Robinson bridge currently. I am not sure I want to walk/run in the opposite direction to get downtown.

Quote Originally Posted by CCOKC View Post
    It's crazy that this thread started in 2017 and we still don't have this bridge yet. As a resident of Wheeler I would love it to be done sometime soon. I think it was mentioned at our last HOA meeting that it would be done in 2024. I am not sure how much I will use this bridge as a pedestrian because I mostly run from my house to downtown and use the Robinson bridge currently. I am not sure I want to walk/run in the opposite direction to get downtown.
    I was just told that this project is in limbo while the one near OKANA is in full motion.

Default 3rd pedestrian bridge over OK River

Check out this article from The Oklahoman:

Foot traffic: OKC snags federal funding for third pedestrian bridge over Oklahoma River

https://www.oklahoman.com/story/news...t/74203947007/

Default Re: 3rd pedestrian bridge over OK River

Quote Originally Posted by Bowser214 View Post
    Check out this article from The Oklahoman:

Foot traffic: OKC snags federal funding for third pedestrian bridge over Oklahoma River

https://www.oklahoman.com/story/news...t/74203947007/
    This is so fantastic. To go from zero to three bridges will be such a game-changer for connectivity

Here is a link to the article without having to mess with the Oklahoman.

https://www.aol.com/foot-traffic-okc...100952492.html

Now we need one more bridge between Robinson Ave. and Walker Ave. to connect Lower Scissortail Park and Wiley Post Park, it will be perfect.

Quote Originally Posted by Canoe View Post
    Here is a link to the article without having to mess with the Oklahoman.

https://www.aol.com/foot-traffic-okc...100952492.html

Now we need one more bridge between Robinson Ave. and Walker Ave. to connect Lower Scissortail Park and Wiley Post Park, it will be perfect.
    If it could be a cable-stayed replica of the Scissortail Bridge over the interstate, that would be a pretty good look that would be a little more consistent with the theme of that path.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by DoctorTaco View Post
    This is so fantastic. To go from zero to three bridges will be such a game-changer for connectivity
    I know this may sound snarky, but I really don't mean it that way, but... I hope you are right and the bridges are used by more than a hand full of pedestrians. We add sidewalks that I see very few walking on. We have made great strides ofr bicycles, yet I rarely see bicyclists out and using the lanes. All these infrastructure moves we are making need to be utilized so we will be encouraged to make more.

There is a very strong network effect with this sort of thing. If 98% of a bike network is built out but that missing 2% is across a river or an interstate---very few will use the 98%.

Quote Originally Posted by Rover View Post
    I know this may sound snarky, but I really don't mean it that way, but... I hope you are right and the bridges are used by more than a hand full of pedestrians. We add sidewalks that I see very few walking on. We have made great strides ofr bicycles, yet I rarely see bicyclists out and using the lanes. All these infrastructure moves we are making need to be utilized so we will be encouraged to make more.
    If we built roads the way we build sidewalks and bike lanes (that is in pieces and not a connected network) you wouldnt see many people driving ever.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by josefromtulsa View Post
    If we built roads the way we build sidewalks and bike lanes (that is in pieces and not a connected network) you wouldnt see many people driving ever.
    That's an absurd equivalancy.

Hope I’m speaking on the correct bridge here as I saw Holt tweet today (I-35 proposed pedestrian bridge over OK River). I used to run the south river trail on my daily run. It currently dead-ends at the I-35 bridge. I’ve always loved the trail here for its partially shaded path and good views of the skyline and Riversport. This trail is beaming with potential especially with the proposed bridge and connection to Okana as well as the northern portion of that trail.

Unfortunately I no longer run this stretch because quite frankly it’s become too dangerous. I’ve ran this trail a million times and had overall great experiences. However, I’ve noticed that the general vibe along the trail has changed with a significant increase in litter and a growing homeless presence. This alone isn’t enough for me to quit frequenting a trail. I can get past some litter & a few homeless folks here and there no biggie. The overall positives of this trail aren’t enough to outweigh two particular experiences that I had on this trail. One of which was being chased (and bitten) by an off-leash dog. The second of which, was being confronted by a man (seemingly tweaking) with a large knife on one of the most remote portions of the trail. I don’t mean to be dramatic especially in light of the good news of increased connectivity, but, I just wish and hope that the City would do something to make these trails more safe. I know multiple people that share these experiences along the river trails. I really don’t know what can or should be done but as a downtown resident I feel like I have a decent pulse on what areas are safe & which aren’t and this spot is now near the top of places I avoid.

Quote Originally Posted by DoctorTaco View Post
    There is a very strong network effect with this sort of thing. If 98% of a bike network is built out but that missing 2% is across a river or an interstate---very few will use the 98%.
    I agree with Rover. Adding a bridge over the river is not likely to significantly increase the number of bicycle riders in OKC. There is a small percentage of the population that are enthusiasts that ride for enjoyment, which is great, and the city should provide the means to do so via bike paths. Very few commute to work daily via bicycle. OKC is not a bike centric city and likely never will be due to size and extreme temperatures. I was in Seattle a few weeks ago and even there, very few cyclists were utilizing the many bike lanes.

Super amped to have another pedestrian crossing point. Pete previously mentioned the bridge near Wheeler Park was "in limbo." Does that mean it may not happen or just that cdesign/onstruction is taking a long time to get off the starting block?

Quote Originally Posted by aDark View Post
    Super amped to have another pedestrian crossing point. Pete previously mentioned the bridge near Wheeler Park was "in limbo." Does that mean it may not happen or just that cdesign/onstruction is taking a long time to get off the starting block?
    The new federal funding means it will get built, but not until 2027.

is this bridge the red one designed by AHMM?

Thread Information