Widgets Magazine
Page 73 of 73 FirstFirst ... 23686970717273
Results 1,801 to 1,816 of 1816

Thread: Costco

1. Default Re: Costco

I've never been in a Costco, keep hearing they won't even let you in without a membership, so never have tried. Are they really any better than Sam's Club? Is this a Target vs Wal-Mart type of deal?

2. Default Re: Costco

Quote Originally Posted by bamarsha View Post
    I've never been in a Costco, keep hearing they won't even let you in without a membership, so never have tried. Are they really any better than Sam's Club? Is this a Target vs Wal-Mart type of deal?
    I prefer the brands at Costco way more than Sam's Club. Prices are similar though on many items.

Default Re: Costco

Quote Originally Posted by bamarsha View Post
    Target vs Walmart may be a good comparison. While Costco and Sam's appear the same, I think they go after two very different types of shoppers. Sam's Club is geared for small business owners, lots of variety of items in regards to packaged food, vending machine snacks, restaurant containers, and the general service industry. Costco seems to be geared more towards a home consumer with a large variety of items that would compliment home goods. While they carry many of the same brands, I think Sam's may be focused more on defined price points, while Costco offers more value on higher end products/brands.

They do have some crossover of course like electronics, paper goods, and some food items.

Sam's has a much better point of sale and website interface, which I think is thanks to Walmart's existing infrastructure. Costco has a cult following in regards to the $5 chicken, and $1.50 price point on the hot dog and soda combo. Costco's Kirkland brand seems to hold up well across all of the offerings. From my experience, you can easily find what you are looking for at Sams and they have a very defined seasonal section of goods. Costco is designed for you to literally go up and down every aisle as many seasonal items can move throughout the store multiple times while on display.

I have shopped at both and prefer Costco, but can definitely see where Sam's can come ahead if you are looking for particular items or run a small company/business.

At the end of the day, to each their own on what suits your shopping habits best.

^

Costco's lack of tech is completely inexcusable.

You literally don't know what they carry unless you walk up and down every aisle and hope you haven't missed it or they haven't sold out -- their website is next to worthless. With Sam's, you can see every single item they carry and if it's in stock. Also very easy to search for items on their app in the store. Sam's also has a much better delivery/shipping program.

And Costco has made it hard to use self-checkout whereas Sam's has Scan and Go, great self-checkout, and now you don't even have to show your receipt at the door.

The Kirkland brand is better than Members Mark but to me that hasn't been a huge differentiator.

I was the biggest Costco fan in the world but the tech issues are just too big to look past IMO.

Also, may have missed it, but on my most recent visit to the OKC Costco on Memorial and Western, the food court counter was completely blocked off with tarps and the front of the store was in a completely different arrangement towards the store exit. Are the updating food-service equipment or something different?

Quote Originally Posted by scottk View Post
    Also, may have missed it, but on my most recent visit to the OKC Costco on Memorial and Western, the food court counter was completely blocked off with tarps and the front of the store was in a completely different arrangement towards the store exit. Are the updating food-service equipment or something different?
    They've been redoing sections of the back end of the store (bakery, meat, etc.), mainly the flooring. It's now the food court's turn, should be done in no more than a couple weeks.

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    ^

You literally don't know what they carry unless you walk up and down every aisle and hope you haven't missed it or they haven't sold out -- their website is next to worthless. With Sam's, you can see every single item they carry and if it's in stock. Also very easy to search for items on their app in the store. Sam's also has a much better delivery/shipping program.

And Costco has made it hard to use self-checkout whereas Sam's has Scan and Go, great self-checkout, and now you don't even have to show your receipt at the door.

The Kirkland brand is better than Members Mark but to me that hasn't been a huge differentiator.

I was the biggest Costco fan in the world but the tech issues are just too big to look past IMO.
    We had a situation our last visit with the self check out. We had a couple of big items and the Costco rep said he had to scan those so he did and we did the rest and headed out with the receipt. The receipt checker said an item was missing and sure enough one of the big items didn't get scanned so we had to go back and get it paid for. Fortunately there wasn't a long line to get the receipts reviewed because I would not have been happy waiting twice.

I just spoke with a long time employee and he said they are doing all new floors, equipment, etc. He said the plan is for it to be back open on Monday.

Quote Originally Posted by scottk View Post
    and $1.50 price point on the hot dog and soda combo.
    Daughter and I got the dog and soda combo at Sam's yesterday and it was $1.38.

I'd be interested to at least check out Costco because everyone says how awesome it is and how great their store brand is but since they don't invite me in to see why I should go with them instead of their competitor, I stay with Sam's. There's a Sam's just a couple of miles from me. I'd have to travel further for Costco and through a higher traffic area. Not worth it for something that may have a negligible difference.

When Sam’s first started carrying beer and wine, they had some small notices that you were not required to have a membership to purchase alcohol. This may be a state law issue, and if so, you should be able to enter a Costco to purchase alcohol. Also, I think Sam’s allows anyone to use the pharmacy. Maybe Costco does that too.

Quote Originally Posted by sooner333 View Post
    When Sam’s first started carrying beer and wine, they had some small notices that you were not required to have a membership to purchase alcohol. This may be a state law issue, and if so, you should be able to enter a Costco to purchase alcohol. Also, I think Sam’s allows anyone to use the pharmacy. Maybe Costco does that too.
    I just went to a costco this weekend in texas that had a full liqour store attached. you did not need a membership to enter and purchase.

12. Default Re: Costco

Quote Originally Posted by sooner333 View Post
    COSTCO in CO allows anyone to use the pharmacy. You must have a membership to buy alcohol.

A lot of discussion regarding Sam's vs Costco in the last couple of posts, CNBC recently posted this. Breaks down the differences of the stores brands and how each retailer approaches going after their customer base with offerings:

One of the things of note is how much more Costco makes off of Kirkland while offering many less product offerings than Sam's Member's Mark brand.

Any possible updates on a west side location

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    ^

They must've read your post, Pete!
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Capture.JPG 
Views:	40 
Size:	76.1 KB 
ID:	18954

^

You still can't see a huge percentage of the items they stock. For example, search for 'bread' and you get nothing, while they carry dozens of different kinds.

Search for 'bread' on the Sam's site and you not only get all their packaged bread but lots of other things, too.

Thread Information