Widgets Magazine

Thread: Sellout Crowd

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Re: Sellout Crowd

The Frontier has a good write-up on this mess.

https://www.readfrontier.org/stories...media-company/Sold out:
    The rise and fall of America’s most ambitious sports media company
    June 24, 2024
    Sellout Crowd’s founders lured writers with promises of lucrative pay, and, thanks to some big name investors, enough funding to stay in business for three years. None of it was true.
    This is the crux of any litigation, although I don't know if the main people accused have any money:

But Tramel said he later learned Sellout Crowd hadn’t raised the millions of dollars in cash to get the site off the ground that Koehler had claimed. What the startup had gotten instead was a $1.5 million loan from Toby Keith, Keith’s business partner Hunter Miller, and former University of Oklahoma Coach Bob Stoops that carried a 12% interest rate. And now, unaware, he was on the hook for it.

Default Re: Sellout Crowd

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    The Frontier has a good write-up on this mess.

https://www.readfrontier.org/stories...media-company/Sold out:

This is the crux of any litigation, although I don't know if the main people accused have any money:
    I feel bad for Berry. He really should have known better, though. I personally have lost a lot of money by making a poor investment decision, but not to the point that it put my family's finances in jeopardy. The article did a nice job of giving the journalists' perspective (makes sense; written by a journalist). They were burned out, worried about layoffs, probably not paid very well for a high-pressure job, and the lure of something fun and new -- with the possibility to make more money -- is a pretty simple lure.

Without naming names, the guy behind that must be a super shady person to mislead people who thought he was their friend in such a cold and calculating manner.

Berry and Jenny and the others should have seen the red flags, but it still sucks for them. Berry seems like a great guy although I don't know him well and sometimes get put off with his writing and pontificating.

Thread Information