Widgets Magazine
Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 456789

Thread: Access Oklahoma Turnpike Projects

Default Re: Access Oklahoma Turnpike Projects

Quote Originally Posted by PistolChad View Post
    The State of Oklahoma has the authority to turn I-35 and I-40 into turnpikes.
    I don't believe that this is accurate

Quote Originally Posted by jn1780 View Post
    Toll roads are just going to become more common due to technology and the "green movement" to make people pay for their carbon. The only limiting reason against turnpikes: "booths in the middle of the road" is now gone.
    Not really their carbon, it's to pay for their upkeep. With EVs, they aren't paying gas tax like a carbon-based vehicle, so that revenue is going to keep going away... something will have to give. We won't be able to afford these road networks when the gas tax tanks...

3. Default Re: Access Oklahoma Turnpike Projects

Quote Originally Posted by LakeEffect View Post
    Not really their carbon, it's to pay for their upkeep. With EVs, they aren't paying gas tax like a carbon-based vehicle, so that revenue is going to keep going away... something will have to give. We won't be able to afford these road networks when the gas tax tanks...
    EVs still pay taxes. They pay an Electric Fee when they renew their license plates.

4. Default Re: Access Oklahoma Turnpike Projects

nm

I think what is more likely is they will make a 3rd express lane that is tolled with i35 and i40

Quote Originally Posted by TornadoKegan View Post
    I think what is more likely is they will make a 3rd express lane that is tolled with i35 and i40
    Agreed, at least through the metro which would greatly improve traffic flow and address how to pay for it.

Seems highly unlikely, especially through the metro, given ODOT’s past comments about I-35 already being as wide as it can be.

seems like an addition HOV / toll lane is likely

Quote Originally Posted by The View Post
    Seems highly unlikely, especially through the metro, given ODOT’s past comments about I-35 already being as wide as it can be.
    that of course is not correct .. no matter if they say it or not ..

see west of houston .. I10 expansion ...

With the state going away from cash tolls, when will we see the demo of the old cash toll plazas? I am not sure in other states like Texas that went cashless before us what those look like now. I would guess with an expansion, they would be taken out to allow space, but that's not going to happen everywhere.

Quote Originally Posted by The View Post

Elevated or dug out below the grade. See express lanes along stretches of US75 and I635 in Dallas. We use the 635 express lanes below the grade in Dallas all the time. It's a four-lane tollway underneath.

Quote Originally Posted by BoulderSooner View Post
    I don't believe that this is accurate
    While partially correct, that statement gives you a false impression. ODOT could ADD toll lanes to existing roads just as what's been done in the DFW area. They can't just slap toll gates on existing lanes.

I think we all know that kind of stuff is possible. But, my questions are the cost and traffic counts that make something like that worth it? I think OKC has enough highways and right of way already that make that kind of expenditure unnecessary for at least 50 years.

Quote Originally Posted by Dob Hooligan View Post
    I think we all know that kind of stuff is possible. But, my questions are the cost and traffic counts that make something like that worth it? I think OKC has enough highways and right of way already that make that kind of expenditure unnecessary for at least 50 years.
    I don’t think anyone is advocating for this to be used all over the city or even suggesting that it be done. I will say there is roughly 5 miles on I/35/235 that would greatly benefit from it and would be totally worth it even for just 5 miles. Same with I40. Does it need to be 10 on each to make it worthwhile and profitable maybe so but somewhere in between would dramatically reduce congestion and provide a path to paying for it.

14. Default Re: Access Oklahoma Turnpike Projects

Quote Originally Posted by jdross1982 View Post
    I don’t think anyone is advocating for this to be used all over the city or even suggesting that it be done. I will say there is roughly 5 miles on I/35/235 that would greatly benefit from it and would be totally worth it even for just 5 miles. Same with I40. Does it need to be 10 on each to make it worthwhile and profitable maybe so but somewhere in between would dramatically reduce congestion and provide a path to paying for it.
    Plutonic Panda would disagree! 10, 12, 14 lanes!

Quote Originally Posted by mugofbeer View Post
    Plutonic Panda would disagree! 10, 12, 14 lanes!
    LOL I mean you have a point there but there is a difference between playing SIMS and what can be reasonably be expected. LOL

Access oklahoma just Added 57 additional construction eprojects
    Can you share links or details? I explored the site and didn’t find 57 additional projects.

Quote Originally Posted by catcherinthewry View Post
    EVs still pay taxes. They pay an Electric Fee when they renew their license plates.
    I believe the fee for my MINI is $110/year. Apparently there's also a tax on public chargers, but I don't pay that because I charge at home 99% of the time.

18. Default Re: Access Oklahoma Turnpike Projects

Quote Originally Posted by TheTravellers View Post
    I believe the fee for my MINI is $110/year. Apparently there's also a tax on public chargers, but I don't pay that because I charge at home 99% of the time.
    Look for that fee to gradually increase as states try to recouperate dropping gasoline taxes.

19. Default Re: Access Oklahoma Turnpike Projects

They didn't say I-35 couldn't be expanded, just that it would be extremely expensive because they would have to buy up a lot of land. It's going to have to get done, or we're going to have to stack the interstate in some way. It's getting stupid full. 44 from 240 up to the Hefner split needs more room too, but similar problem for the section north of 40.

The trick is to avoid taking I-35 during rush hour

Look for that fee to gradually increase as states try to recouperate dropping gasoline taxes.
    They'll likely gradually increase as more people buy electric vehicles. Although, it will probably increase faster than the gas tax because it only takes a 50% majority to raise the fee and would take 2/3s to raise the gas tax.

Does anyone know why I-35 was constructed to jump on I-40 to then go east to continue on I-35? Why would they not track I-35 to the East starting around SE 29th and continue along Trosper property before connecting to that section of I-35?

Have to think that would help both I-40 and I-35 in that area.

Quote Originally Posted by jdross1982 View Post
    Does anyone know why I-35 was constructed to jump on I-40 to then go east to continue on I-35? Why would they not track I-35 to the East starting around SE 29th and continue along Trosper property before connecting to that section of I-35?

Have to think that would help both I-40 and I-35 in that area.
    That may go back to the legislature did not want I-35 to be more than around a mile from the highway it was replacing in Oklahoma (US 77) where practical to do so. South of OKC downtown it seems that was clearly possible, north of I-40 77 was basically replaced by I-235 & Broadway Extension, so was a more complex/expensive build that did not fully happen at interstate standards till decades later.

Also the Grand Boulevard loop was basically how far OKC proper was built out pre freeways. So our inner loop now, was basically routing traffic around the entire city at the time. Plus traffic count of highways replaced by I-40/I-35 at time of construction would pale in comparison of what either handle today.

Quote Originally Posted by jn1780 View Post
    Toll roads are just going to become more common due to technology and the "green movement" to make people pay for their carbon. The only limiting reason against turnpikes: "booths in the middle of the road" is now gone.
    Turnpikes have nothing to do with carbon tax. It has to do with states not raising gas taxes enough to pay for all of their roads.

All cars should go to tax based on miles and weight of vehicle. Gas taxes have basically stayed flat for decades as fuel economy, car weight, and inflation have all gone way up. Charging a flat fee on EVs is really not the best way to try to recoup some of the losses.

Thread Information