Widgets Magazine
Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567

Thread: Packard's

Default Re: Packard's

Quote Originally Posted by OkieBerto View Post
    Like other places I used to spend a lot of money, Packard's started feeling less exciting. The rooftop patio bar seemed an afterthought, and the food was not up to my standards, which isn't hard to make me happy. I understand that we live in a different economy after COVID, and the expansion of the food scene in OKC is massive, but places like this should not lose customers. It has always had one of the best patios in the city! Even though some businesses have gone to in-house work instead of making everyone go into an office, plenty of people live downtown now. Some locations lack a great spot with amazing amenities, but they are doing fine. People expect more now, and if you don't keep up with that, you will end up like Packard's.
    I think it is just that they never really updated their concept for changes. when they went in, they were one of the better places to go in OKC. but because of the bar they helped raise, other places have now come in and passed them in terms of quality and experience. and they just never made a good attempt to adjust to that. i think that is the case for many of these long time places that have closed recently. i think of Oak and Ore in that same context.

Quote Originally Posted by OkieBerto View Post
    Like other places I used to spend a lot of money, Packard's started feeling less exciting. The rooftop patio bar seemed an afterthought, and the food was not up to my standards, which isn't hard to make me happy. I understand that we live in a different economy after COVID, and the expansion of the food scene in OKC is massive, but places like this should not lose customers. It has always had one of the best patios in the city! Even though some businesses have gone to in-house work instead of making everyone go into an office, plenty of people live downtown now. Some locations lack a great spot with amazing amenities, but they are doing fine. People expect more now, and if you don't keep up with that, you will end up like Packard's.
    Always felt their great rooftop was underutilized.

Duplicate post

Quote Originally Posted by Urbanized View Post
    They were a very popular lunch and happy hour destination before the pandemic, but pretty much every place downtown that catered primarily to the white collar weekday crowd has struggled to some extent since 2020. The office market and the businesses supporting it have seen far more disruption than is understood by people who don’t live/work in the core.
    per usual with you .. this is spot on

Quote Originally Posted by Thunderbolt View Post
    Always felt their great rooftop was underutilized.
    Agree. And you never had any idea as to whether it was open without calling ahead…and sometimes even then couldn’t be sure.

Quote Originally Posted by jedicurt View Post
    I think it is just that they never really updated their concept for changes. when they went in, they were one of the better places to go in OKC. but because of the bar they helped raise, other places have now come in and passed them in terms of quality and experience. and they just never made a good attempt to adjust to that. i think that is the case for many of these long time places that have closed recently. i think of Oak and Ore in that same context.
    Yep

7. Default Re: Packard's

Quote Originally Posted by PhiAlpha View Post
    Agree. And you never had any idea as to whether it was open without calling ahead…and sometimes even then couldn’t be sure.
    BINGO. I went there a few times when they first opened and there was a full bar and live music upstairs, and the view towards downtown Oklahoma City was killer. They quit doing that after awhile and I rarely went back.

Thread Information