Widgets Magazine
Page 30 of 30 FirstFirst ... 252627282930

Thread: OKC Zoo

1. Default Re: OKC Zoo

Quote Originally Posted by The View Post
    I wish every parking lot and possible rooftop had solar panels covering it.
    +1

2. Default Re: OKC Zoo

Quote Originally Posted by FighttheGoodFight View Post
    I think they should do like the KC and San Diego zoo have, a gondola style system to get to the farthest parts of the park and back. Plus a killer view.
    I was thinking the same, the zoo used to have an overhead tram system - they should bring that back, but this time have stops where people can get on/off at the far reaches of the park, and extend (from the earlier implementation) throughout the park and also perhaps to the other side of zoo lake if that gets developed.

I also like the idea of developing a boardwalk along the lake and having themed vendors where folks can take a break from the animals but the zoo/city can still gain revenue.

Finally, I think the train should be extended and better integrated, again, with more stops along the way. Have the train functional, along with the gondola/tram, so folks can participate but not have to walk. It'd be a huge draw IMO without becoming tacky, if you could chose to walk, take mobile shuttles or pedi-shuttles, ride the train, or take the gondola - either way, you still experience the entire zoo.

One more thing I'd like to see is extended zoo hours. 5pm just seems too early, maybe have certain days where the zoo is open late/later; like Sat open til 8pm during the summer. Maybe the zoo could better integrate with SMO somehow. A hotel or two is what's really missing from the area, imagine if the zoo were to create a zoo-themed hotel (stay overnight at the zoo). ..
    Oklahoma City, the RENAISSANCE CITY!

Default Re: OKC Zoo

Quote Originally Posted by HOT ROD View Post
    A hotel or two is what's really missing from theare, imagine if the zoo were to create a zoo-themed hotel (stay overnight at the zoo). ..
    I can’t see the zoo building a hotel, but they are currently building a small structure in Expedition Africa for overnight stays. The master plan also includes overnight suites near the bison as part of the Oklahoma Trails renovation and in Asia with the elephant expansion.

4. Default Re: OKC Zoo

One more thing I'd like to see is extended zoo hours. 5pm just seems too early, maybe have certain days where the zoo is open late/later; like Sat open til 8pm during the summer. Maybe the zoo could better integrate with SMO somehow. A hotel or two is what's really missing from the area, imagine if the zoo were to create a zoo-themed hotel (stay overnight at the zoo). ..
    Extending hours would be really great. I was in Singapore last year and they did a special night session at their zoo with a focus on nocturnal animals. It was one of the more neat things I've done at a zoo anywhere (and it was so popular that it was hard to get tickets).

I was thinking the same, the zoo used to have an overhead tram system - they should bring that back, but this time have stops where people can get on/off at the far reaches of the park, and extend (from the earlier implementation) throughout the park and also perhaps to the other side of zoo lake if that gets developed.

I also like the idea of developing a boardwalk along the lake and having themed vendors where folks can take a break from the animals but the zoo/city can still gain revenue.

Finally, I think the train should be extended and better integrated, again, with more stops along the way. Have the train functional, along with the gondola/tram, so folks can participate but not have to walk. It'd be a huge draw IMO without becoming tacky, if you could chose to walk, take mobile shuttles or pedi-shuttles, ride the train, or take the gondola - either way, you still experience the entire zoo.

The train has actually been gone since construction started on the African exhibit. I did notice on the master plan that there were a couple of tram path reroutes planned so hopefully that will be a little bit more functional. They need more trams for thar to happen. It's somewhat functional now, the problem is there is no guarantee there will be room if you board the tram at the elephant pickup site since most people use it as a single attraction and not a mode of transportation. I wish it can be included in the price or lowere to a dollar or two.

Quote Originally Posted by GoldFire View Post
    Extending hours would be really great. I was in Singapore last year and they did a special night session at their zoo with a focus on nocturnal animals. It was one of the more neat things I've done at a zoo anywhere (and it was so popular that it was hard to get tickets).
    I saw on Instagram last week that the OKC zoo is selling tickets for an overnight session. I think it is geared to children but you must be over 4 years old with a parent present to stay overnight. https://www.okczoo.org/private-overnights

Quote Originally Posted by GoldFire View Post
    the zoo also has sip and stroll ... that is 6-9 pm on 6 different nights in the summer .

It sounds like it's different than this overnight session, but I went on a tour of Expedition Africa while it was under construction and the zoo said as part of it they were building a "glamping" room for overnight stays in expedition Africa. Sounded like it was more for smaller groups/adults/etc. However, last I heard they were having issues (this part via secondary sources so may not be accurate) getting approval to host people there without it being classified as a hotel/etc. and having to comply with those rules. Would be a really cool experience so hopefully they can figure it out. But my imagination runs wild with countless liability concerns with the arrangement, so would not be surprised if it doesn't work out.

Went to the zoo this morning and absolutely loved it - we also went the week of Memorial Day. Today it was packed and even though i was only there 2 hours i probably walked 4 miles. Also the parking lot was filling up when i got there (9am) and when leaving people were driving around looking for empty spaces and even parking across the street at the racetrack.

Also can't emphasize enough how healthy it is to walk. Sure, some people cannot do this but if you are able to walk you should walk as much as possible.

As far back as I remember, when my kids were smaller, seems like the OKC Zoo was always under construction or expanding. I like the idea, but they need to take a break. Going to the zoo with half of it always under constructions makes it unpleasant for patrons. Its like as soon as they get done with one project, they start another. When will be able to enjoy the zoo with no interruptions?

The only thing under construction now is the new marine mammal habitat and it's off by itself in the NE corner of the zoo. So, this is a good time to go because nothing else major is happening.

The Expedition Africa construction is the only project I would consider "disruptive" as it did cut a big hole in the middle of the zoo. Nothing else never seemed that "bad" to me.

On the smaller projects shown in the master plan, a lot of that work can be done in the offseason.

The offseason is a great time to go to the zoo. I sometimes go on random 60 degree days (weekdays) in fall or winter and its like i have the entire place to myself - also the animals are typically pretty active.

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    The only thing under construction now is the new marine mammal habitat and it's off by itself in the NE corner of the zoo. So, this is a good time to go because nothing else major is happening.
    This is a big deal, the sea lion shows were always a big draw to the zoo. Besides that and the elephant presentation, these two are the only live animal show attractions with them interacting with zookeepers besides the basic feedings.

Quote Originally Posted by Ginkasa View Post
    The Expedition Africa construction is the only project I would consider "disruptive" as it did cut a big hole in the middle of the zoo. Nothing else never seemed that "bad" to me.
    The Children's Zoo and Asia Sanctuary were pretty disruptive, but I am glad we have one of the top zoos in the nation. Just wish they would take a break for a few years, and let people just enjoy it.

I love our zoo and recently decided to see where it ranked nationally.

Any ranking is highly subjective of course but I couldn't find any that had the OKC Zoo in the Top 20. It is often left off lists that include 30 or more zoos in the U.S.

Doesn't make the zoo any less great, I just thought it was interesting.

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    I love our zoo and recently decided to see where it ranked nationally.

Any ranking is highly subjective of course but I couldn't find any that had the OKC Zoo in the Top 20. It is often left off lists that include 30 or more zoos in the U.S.

Doesn't make the zoo any less great, I just thought it was interesting.
    I love our zoo, have had a membership for years, and go frequently. I think not being in the top 20-30 in the eyes of a lot of zoo nerds has to do with a lack of highly-themed, first-of-its-kind exhibits. The American Zoological Association has presented awards for outstanding exhibits since 1974, and OKC has never won one. See here: https://www.aza.org/exhibit-award

I’ve heard those in the zoo community refer to the OKC Zoo as “very well rounded” and “underrated gem.” The newer exhibits are high quality, but there are still a couple of points to shore up to be a top 20 zoo. The biggest is the desperate need for a new herpetarium, which the zoo’s director has stated is likely to be the first new master plan project to be built. I think it’s also worth remembering that rankings online today were probably made before anyone doing the ranking saw Expedition Africa. That area was a weak point until recently. Now it’s a real strength.

19. Default Re: OKC Zoo

I'll second the ask for a people mover. Pushing a stroller from the front to the Elephants is quite a workout. It would be nice if there was some way to get around better besides the fancified golf cart tram. The overhead ride was nifty, but it was really just a ride and not really a good people mover. If we can't get the train back in a more "transportation" way than just as an attraction, then i guess those golf carts are it.

One benefit of the carts is that they don't require any construction. But they aren't really the people mover idea you think of when you think parks. We're not Disney World so the monorail is expensive and really not needed, but i think we could do better with a loop path around and some sort of signage on the things "next stop _____".

Quote Originally Posted by sooner2000 View Post
    I The biggest is the desperate need for a new herpetarium, which the zoo’s director has stated is likely to be the first new master plan project to be built..
    per the just released master plan that is 4th on the list ..

Quote Originally Posted by BoulderSooner View Post
    per the just released master plan that is 4th on the list ..
    I know the slide you’re referencing, but the plan also states the project order is flexible. It sounds to me like they will start with the herpetarium.
    Here’s Dr. Lawson’s quote from June 17:
    “The first big project around this would be a new amphibian and reptile complex to replace what is still the oldest building on the grounds,” Lawson said. The habitat will have both indoor and outdoor capacity for species from around the world.
    https://journalrecord.com/2024/06/ok...master-plan-2/

The Herpetarium, Africa Plateau, and Heart of the zoo projects are the only ones they added construction phases on so that tells me they want to start these within the next couple of years.

Truthfully, the last Sanctuary Asian expansion was kind of a let down. It should be called Expedition food court. That should be more towards the center of the zoo. I know in the Master plan they have an Oklahoma Trails rework that includes building a new path that allows you to look at the Rhino exhibit and the back of the Oklahoma Trails. At least at that point, you can see everything without back tracking. The Red Pandas and Rhinos are the probably the least visited animals just due to their location.

Quote Originally Posted by jn1780 View Post
    The Herpetarium, Africa Plateau, and Heart of the zoo projects are the only ones they added construction phases on so that tells me they want to start these within the next couple of years.

Truthully, the last Sanctuary Asian expansion was kind of a let down. It should be called Expedition food court. That should be more towards the center of the zoo. I know in the Master plan they have an Oklahoma Trails rework that includes building a new path that allows you to look at the Rhino exhibit and the back of the Oklahoma Trails. At least at that point, you can see everything without back tracking. The Red Pandas and Rhinos are the probably the least visited animals just due to their location.
    this is a 10 year plan all of it is not very far off ..

24. Default Re: OKC Zoo

Quote Originally Posted by bombermwc View Post
    I'll second the ask for a people mover. Pushing a stroller from the front to the Elephants is quite a workout. It would be nice if there was some way to get around better besides the fancified golf cart tram. The overhead ride was nifty, but it was really just a ride and not really a good people mover. If we can't get the train back in a more "transportation" way than just as an attraction, then i guess those golf carts are it.

One benefit of the carts is that they don't require any construction. But they aren't really the people mover idea you think of when you think parks. We're not Disney World so the monorail is expensive and really not needed, but i think we could do better with a loop path around and some sort of signage on the things "next stop _____".
    this was my exact thought, reboot the train and overhead gondola but with stops at key destinations.

Gondola could go from the Front entrance to Expedition Asia, to Elephants, to Africa, to Zoo lake, to OceanWorld (my title), etc - each with a stop where folks can get on/off. The train likewise should run throughout the zoo and have kitchy platforms for each stop, and each platofrm could have a through track for runs that are express or if there's no passengers to embark. In addition, we could still have the glorified golf trams that could go point-to-point and/or be reserved for families or groups who want to stay together. I also think pedal powered carts could be an option maybe not throughout the park but at least at parts (maybe along the zoo boardwalk).

Again, these transportation options to me would in itself be a destination and part of the OKC Zoo experience (much like having 'destination' specific food options), and would enable those with limited time (or those who like myself do not relish the idea of walking in 90+ degree heat with sun bearing down) to take in the zoo. Not to mention revenue generating options.

Speaking of potential revenue streams, when I was thinking hotel - I was visioning not just the camp-style outings we currently do, but an actual hotel maybe on the other size of zoo lake, where entrance could be from both the zoo and outside, but where folks could 'sleep' with the animals. I'd honestly build it on or next to the zoo amp once the other one gets built or along the zoo lake boardwalk.

I bet these would immediately increase OKC Zoo's internet-visible rankings.
    Oklahoma City, the RENAISSANCE CITY!

Thread Information