Page 80 of 81 FirstFirst ... 3075767778798081 LastLast
Results 1,976 to 2,000 of 2004

Thread: Boardwalk at Bricktown / Dream Hotel

Default Re: Boardwalk at Bricktown / Dream Hotel

Quote Originally Posted by Anonymous. View Post
    Mazaheri drooling
    I lol’d at this.

I couldn’t help but have a little titter!

https://youtu.be/RVt_oNvUvWE?si=IyZraKELuYv7Zdmr

Well, He's definitely getting attention.

Blog Entries

MAPS4 Re: Boardwalk at Bricktown / Dream Hotel

Getting a lot of attention on YouTube:

Blog Entries

MAPS4 Re: Boardwalk at Bricktown / Dream Hotel

I like his ideas!

7. Post Re: Boardwalk at Bricktown / Dream Hotel

totally agree with many of the ideas (I know this is not necessarily Boardwalk/Legends related but I have to write my thoughts):

OKC should improve upon the bridges - we're no longer concerned (or as concerned) about flood plain on the Oklahoma River, so the bridges should be redesigned/rebuilt particularly in the downtown area and (IMO) along the interstate crossings. Not all of them need to be fancy, but most all around downtown and at gateway areas should be imo. Think the fancy bridge in Dallas but with no piers in the water - which would also improve the rowing/watersport use.

OKC should connect the Bricktown canal with locks - we went on the cheap with this, but I think it is time to finish the job and allow river boats to lock into the Oklahoma River.. Just think of the tourism draw that would be and to have a full destination capability; we'd arguably have the capability to give Chicago a run for its money in some aspects.

OKC should definitely take lessons from Wheeler District and implement similar (and more dense multifamily) designs within at least 2 miles of downtown (3 might be pushing it just from the historic district aspect). Definitely within 1 mile of the core of the cbd we should have a master plan where all new construction is visioned to be more than 6 floors and/or have architectural value lending to urban, walkable city design. The next mile out could be visioned with mixture of single and multi-family but still in the urban, dense, walkable design - tying in the existing housing stock. The next mile should encourage some density at key intersections and destinations, with emphasis on walkability along corridors enhanced with transit. The final area (of the central city) following the inner loop should still encourage density but welcome urban asthetic where big box retail exists and is planned. I'd also argue even the suburban areas outside of the inner loop should have density areas and at least sidewalk and transit connectivity into the core. All sidewalks should be well lit and have tree canopy where in the urban and high traffic suburban area; the trees front the curb protecting pedestrians from traffic. I think the city is doing good with the bike lanes, but I'd build more segregated lanes in the inner core.

OKC needs to improve its key boulevards: EK Gaylord, Lincoln, Classen, Grand, Commerce, etc to urban asthetic. Continuous sidewalk and bike lanes on both sides along with transit stops, with trees and lighting fronting the curbs, and where possible tree-lined medians with statues/architecture significant to OKC at key spots. Take the ethnic enclaves (Asian, Capital HIll, Eastside, 39th Street, etc) a bit further by having a monument/statue - Asian district definitely needs a chinatown gate - doesn't ahve to be ON classen but should be nearby say at Military and 25/26th near the park for example. These improvements could themselves become tourist attractions or at least enhance the feel of the urban fabric when visitors travel along the boulevards AND be something residents can be proud of when showing off the city.

OKC should improve freeway signage. Once you get into OKC city limits the signage turns away from OKC very quickly, whereas in other cities they still show/promote the route to DOWNTOWN even until a mile or two away. I know this is more of an ODOT thing, but OKC should have downtown signage throughout the freeway network, particularly outside the inner loop and within where routes go to/near downtown - I'm thinking OKC Boulevard (which just says that, but not that it goes into Downtown). I-235 does a pretty good job actually but I-35 needs to still say downtown even at the I-40/I-235 Crossroads of America junction (and why promote this designation with a nice sign as well - Crossroads of America), I also think I-44 should do better job at the I-40 junction instead of saying Ft Smith/Tulsa it should say Downtown (then Ft Smith/Tulsa after ddowntown has been reached). You may not realize but if we were to do this there is a subconscious feeling that you're in a big city. Most if not all big cities do this, even Tulsa does. We should promote our city better, even simply with freeway signage and not just be a drive-over city (think flyover) where people just passing through or around. in the outer areas, we still 'could' say the next key city but we should say our city too if it hasn't yet been reached:

think at I-40 eastbound approaching I-344 should still say OKLAHOMA CITY and say DOWNTOWN approaching I-44 and again at OKC Boulevard exit, then the thru traffic should start seeing I-40 Ft Smith/I-35 Dallas/Wichita after that. Definitely the drive FROM WRWA should be lined with Downtown Oklahoma City signage: Meridian to I-44 should read Downtown Oklahoma City (or just Downtown) in an overhead sign not just side sign/afterthought, I-240/Airport Rd approaching I-44 E should say Downtown Oklahoma City (not Tulsa), I-44 NB approaching I-40 E should say Downtown in an overhead sign (not just the afterthought on the right) and start saying Tulsa for the through traffic.

I think these are simple, inexpensive (OK, not the canal locks) ways to dramatically improve Oklahoma City as a destination rather than just a stop point for gas on your way to somewhere else.
    Oklahoma City, the RENAISSANCE CITY!

They may want to delay this ENTIRE project by a year until FAA completes its investigation into the low altitude incidents. Wouldn't want the hypothetical legends tower to get hit. JK

There's no new information here but I don't remember seeing this posted before.

10. Default Re: Boardwalk at Bricktown / Dream Hotel

Here's an interesting line from that article that's presumably nonsense (but I want to believe):

"A lagoon planned for the development will link up with offshoots of the nearby Oklahoma River..."

Quote Originally Posted by Grant View Post
    Here's an interesting line from that article that's presumably nonsense (but I want to believe):

"A lagoon planned for the development will link up with offshoots of the nearby Oklahoma River..."
    That's just nonsense. Maybe they mean the canal, but even seems doubtful.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Grant View Post

I bet it will have a spaceport too. That will be cool.

Quote Originally Posted by Swake View Post
    I bet it will have a spaceport too. That will be cool.
    Honestly they should just integrate the Legends Tower with a space elevator

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by David View Post
    That's just nonsense. Maybe they mean the canal, but even seems doubtful.
    The canal is right there. Wouldn't be that difficult to join the lagoon and canal. Canal ride to the river. River to OCANA. Would be awesome. Would link a lot of entertainment and restaurants,

Quote Originally Posted by Rover View Post
    The canal is right there. Wouldn't be that difficult to join the lagoon and canal. Canal ride to the river. River to OCANA. Would be awesome. Would link a lot of entertainment and restaurants,
    Who is going to pay for the 300 feet canal extension and new bridge for it to go under Reno? Pretty complicated work since the streetcar line and stop is right in the way.

Who is going to pay for the 300 feet canal extension and new bridge for it to go under Reno? Pretty complicated work since the streetcar line and stop is right in the way.
    Actually, a streetcar stop being right above the canal overlooking the water access to the lagoon would be pretty cushy. Granted that would be hundreds of millions of dollars of work and construction, but if they could pull that off, that would be a pretty fun way to tie things together, especially if they found the funds to dig that tunnel under both the Amtrak railway and Gaylord Ave, that would not only tie the Bricktown Canal to Bricktown proper, but also the Legends Tower/Dream Hotel and the new arena. It's too bad they won't have like a direct waterway access from the canal to the river landing adjacent to the southernmost point. Of course that would probably require sluice gates to help regulate water flow for heavy rains.

18. Default Re: Boardwalk at Bricktown / Dream Hotel

The canal already goes under Reno. An extension into this development would go between Harkins and the Centennial. The canal was actually designed with a stub to allow such an extension in this direction. A bridge would still be required on Oklahoma Avenue, but there would be no streetcar involvement.

I just hope we see some dirt being moved by the end of the year on this. Will tell a whole lot about the developments future, to me.

Quote Originally Posted by Urbanized View Post
    The canal already goes under Reno. An extension into this development would go between Harkins and the Centennial. The canal was actually designed with a stub to allow such an extension in this direction. A bridge would still be required on Oklahoma Avenue, but there would be no streetcar involvement.
    I assumed that direction was equally unlikely because of having to thread the extension between Harkins and the Centennial and whatever utilities might be in the way, plus it's an even longer distance than to the canal to the north. RIP some Centennial parking and the location of their dumpster if it happens, I suppose.

21. Default Re: Boardwalk at Bricktown / Dream Hotel

^^^^^^^^
    I suspect the Centennial and Lower Bricktown could both survive a dumpster relocation. No significant utility relocation would be required because - as I’d mentioned - the stub was built with the intention that a canal extension could go there, and the route was protected when the Centennial was developed.

^^^^^^^^
    I suspect the Centennial and Lower Bricktown could both survive a dumpster relocation. No significant utility relocation would be required because - as I’d mentioned - the stub was built with the intention that a canal extension could go there, and the route was protected when the Centennial was developed.
    What do you mean by stub, by the way? Nothing is obvious when looking at that section of the canal on the surface but is it something underground or underwater?

What do you mean by stub, by the way? Nothing is obvious when looking at that section of the canal on the surface but is it something underground or underwater?
    Believe it's this portion of the canal that dead-ends at the mosaic; it's very close to the Boardwalk site, seen at the top of this photo:

24. Default Re: Boardwalk at Bricktown / Dream Hotel

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    Believe it's this portion of the canal that dead-ends at the mosaic; it's very close to the Boardwalk site:

No, that’s not the stub I was talking about. It is a nondescript area in Lower Bricktown, which was intentionally planned so that an extension/connection could be made there. It is less than a block from the site of this project. Such a connection would be very uncomplicated, due to the foresight of designers. When Lower Bricktown developed, then Public Works Director Paul Brum personally ensured that the potential for connection was left intact.

Here is a Google Maps capture of the area, with the stub location in question highlighted:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0335.jpeg 
Views:	53 
Size:	3.78 MB 
ID:	18952

The photo fools the eye into believing it’s narrower than it actually is due to the overhead angle and shadows. There’s plenty of room (by design).

No, that’s not the stub I was talking about. It is a nondescript area in Lower Bricktown, which was intentionally planned so that an extension/connection could be made there. It is less than a block from the site of this project. Such a connection would be very uncomplicated, due to the foresight of designers. When Lower Bricktown developed, then Public Works Director Paul Brum personally ensured that the potential for connection was left intact.

Here is a Google Maps capture of the area, with the stub location in question highlighted:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0335.jpeg 
Views:	53 
Size:	3.78 MB 
ID:	18952

The photo fools the eye into believing it’s narrower than it actually is due to the overhead angle and shadows. There’s plenty of room (by design).
    It seems extending the canal south from the photo I showed would be another viable option. The City owns the only property between the canal and the Boardwalk site.

Thread Information