Widgets Magazine
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: OU Football Operations Facility

Default Re: OU Football Operations Facility

Quote Originally Posted by jedicurt View Post
    yes, i know it would be more than $100 million. but i do know that if OU were to receive a donation of that size for that purpose, then they would actually work to find the money for the rest. that's basically how the new UT arena was started.
    Exactly. Of course OU is going to take "free money" from the TIF if offered to them. If Norman doesn't approve it, which looks very possible, then all of a sudden OU will need to find a lead donor to fund the arena. If Ole Miss, Auburn, Baylor, etc. can all build brand new $100+ million arenas so can OU.. I don't expect OU's new arena to be on the same scale as Moody, nor does it need to be.

Quote Originally Posted by BG918 View Post
    Exactly. Of course OU is going to take "free money" from the TIF if offered to them. If Norman doesn't approve it, which looks very possible, then all of a sudden OU will need to find a lead donor to fund the arena. If Ole Miss, Auburn, Baylor, etc. can all build brand new $100+ million arenas so can OU..
    They tried for 20 years to find a lead donor to no avail... that is why they are going with this plan. Joe C has said, there has been no real options for 20 years.

Quote Originally Posted by BG918 View Post
    Exactly. Of course OU is going to take "free money" from the TIF if offered to them. If Norman doesn't approve it, which looks very possible, then all of a sudden OU will need to find a lead donor to fund the arena. If Ole Miss, Auburn, Baylor, etc. can all build brand new $100+ million arenas so can OU..
    OU fans have proven they will likely not support and donate to things like this. Just see how their NIL pales in comparison to schools like Mississippi. They know their donor base.

They donate to sports that win, like softball and, to a lesser extent, football (lesser because they care about football in a way that record doesn't matter). If OU sucked at softball in the future, that palace they built will be empty.

Sooner fans are fickle.

yes, i know it would be more than $100 million. but i do know that if OU were to receive a donation of that size for that purpose, then they would actually work to find the money for the rest. that's basically how the new UT arena was started.
    nope a private group the Oak View group funded the entire arena .. not a donation ..

Quote Originally Posted by bison34 View Post
    Not money for a new arena. And that SEC money is a fart in a hurricane in relation to the cost of a new arena. Do people not realize that extra money will help operations if the AD, but won't go to capital projects? Or do people just not realize how little money sports make, in terms of net profit?

If you don't, we can't have this conversation.
    this of course is due to them not wanting to make money .... and if you don't understand that we can't have this conversation ..

Quote Originally Posted by BoulderSooner View Post
    nope a private group the Oak View group funded the entire arena .. not a donation ..
    correct. but it was an outside group that came in to start the plans on campus. that is what i was more saying... not that it had to be a donation. but that someone other than the university coming in and saying, "hey, lets do this and do it here"

correct. but it was an outside group that came in to start the plans on campus. that is what i was more saying... not that it had to be a donation. but that someone other than the university coming in and saying, "hey, lets do this and do it here"
    No one wants to do that in NORMAN. Texas has the benefit of being in one of the hottest real estate and job markets in the country.

No one wants to do that for OU or Norman.

this of course is due to them not wanting to make money .... and if you don't understand that we can't have this conversation ..
    Huh? I'm not sure what you mean. I'm saying that one, maybe 2 sports, at OU make money. One of them supports basically every other sport. The extra SEC money isn't going to be able to fund an arena. OU made less than $200k as an athletic department. They aren't swimming in reserve cash.

No one wants to do that in NORMAN. Texas has the benefit of being in one of the hottest real estate and job markets in the country.

No one wants to do that for OU or Norman.
    exactly... which is why there is no proposal and no plan, zero plans, for an on campus facility. the only options are UNP or nothing.

Huh? I'm not sure what you mean. I'm saying that one, maybe 2 sports, at OU make money. One of them supports basically every other sport. The extra SEC money isn't going to be able to fund an arena. OU made less than $200k as an athletic department. They aren't swimming in reserve cash.
    if OU's goal was to Make money they could cut about 20 mil in spending in about 1 sec ... ..... they spend close to everything they bring in (by design)

if OU's goal was to Make money they could cut about 20 mil in spending in about 1 sec ... ..... they spend close to everything they bring in (by design)
    Title IX keeps them from that. Equal spending on sports is required. So we'd lose men's sports and add every women's sport.

Title IX keeps them from that. Equal spending on sports is required. So we'd lose men's sports and add every women's sport.
    lol NO ..

https://sports.usatoday.com/ncaa/finances

plenty of schools that sponsor just as many sports spend less money ..

lol NO ..

https://sports.usatoday.com/ncaa/finances

plenty of schools that sponsor just as many sports spend less money ..
    I misspoke. The # of sports participation opportunities has to be equal to the proportion of students on campus. So if a college has 46% male students, then the athletics department could only have a 46/54 breakdown of sports participation opportunities between males and females.

https://legalaidatwork.org/factsheet...ale%20athletes.

Thread Information