Widgets Magazine

Thread: Between now and the summer of 2028

Default Between now and the summer of 2028

My understanding is slalom kayak Olympic events are a done deal for OKC as part of the 2028 Los Angeles Olympic Games.

I’ve heard rumblings about also getting softball, but nothing solid. Rowing/river events look unlikely.

However, we can count on OKC being on the international stage in July of 2028, and that’s a very big deal. The wheels are already turning behind the scenes with an RFP for an architecture group to oversee the needed improvements in and around the whitewater facility. A choice will be made in about a month and then the details will start to be formally planned, although that will largely be kept from the public until a formal announcement is made after the Paris Games this summer.

So, what will OKC look like by the time we draw international focus?

There will likely be lots of improvements to the Riversports area, such as 10,000+ seats, concessions, transportation, and some sort of mini Olympic Village. We could even see a small hotel constructed.

We’ve just learned the revised plan for the arena is to be substantially finished by June of 2028. Don’t know about the proposed surrounding development, but hopefully at least some of that will be finished as well.

OKANA will be rocking along (scheduled to open summer 2025) and maybe by that time the aquarium will be ready to go. They could also fast-track future phases.

OAK should be fully built out with tons of new-to-market restaurants and shops as well as the apartments, hotel and office building.

Convergence should be complete, including the hotel.

If things go to plan, Boardwalk at Bricktown should have the first 3 towers complete.

The MAPS 4 soccer stadium should be done or close to it. With any luck, we’ll see more development in the Producers Coop area.

The full LED system at Devon is scheduled to be complete in about a year from now.

I also think we’ll see lots of new hotels in the downtown and Bricktown areas; not specifically for the Olympics but because they are needed in general and the Games will provide a great date to aim for.

Default Re: Between now and the summer of 2028

Do you think we will hear anything on the REHCO site between now and then? It would be cool to know what is going to happen there and even if something was under construction.

All things considered this city is really is amazing in it's desire to better itself.

Hopefully there will some local mass transit from the airport to downtown by then.

International tourists might be weirded out if there were none available.

But there is a lot planned! Hopefully it all comes to fruition, so OKC can put on a good showing on a world stage!

^

I wonder if the long-awaited commuter line between Edmond/OKC/Norman might finally get fast-tracked.

Quote Originally Posted by gopokes88 View Post
    All things considered this city is really is amazing in it's desire to better itself.
    This is the biggest difference maker about OKC.

I feel compelled to bring perspective to the crazy TIF and other taxpayer giveaways, but I also understand and respect that has been the way we have been able to get many things done.

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    I wonder if the long-awaited commuter line between Edmond/OKC/Norman might finally get fast-tracked.
    Isn't the vote in 2025? Assuming it passes, I wonder how long it would take to negotiate with BNSF, acquire rolling stock, and build the stops.

Quote Originally Posted by cinnamonjock View Post
    Isn't the vote in 2025? Assuming it passes, I wonder how long it would take to negotiate with BNSF, acquire rolling stock, and build the stops.
    According to reports, the RTA is already in negotiations with BNSF about this.

We definitely need a true commuter rail between really Guthrie to Norman and El Reno to maybe even Shawnee. The farther points could be later added but planned for now.

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    This is the biggest difference maker about OKC.

I feel compelled to bring perspective to the crazy TIF and other taxpayer giveaways, but I also understand and respect that has been the way we have been able to get many things done.
    There's a trade off to everything in life. TIF is insane in a perfect world, but we don't live in that world.

In this case it's worth it to me.

Quote Originally Posted by unfundedrick View Post
    According to reports, the RTA is already in negotiations with BNSF about this.
    Can you provide a link to any of these reports or point me in the right direction?

Quote Originally Posted by The View Post
    Can you provide a link to any of these reports or point me in the right direction?
    I can't give a link to article, but it is mentioned on page 3 of the Tuesday Oklahoman in Steve's article about the new arena location. it is also mentioned here:

https://www.citynewsokc.com/news/okc...9645fed40.html

"The RTA is currently negotiating with BNSF Railway to establish a commuter rail service that would link Edmond, Oklahoma City, and Norman. This initiative aims to significantly improve transportation options for residents and visitors alike, particularly those attending events at the city's arenas. "

And from last year.

https://www.oklahoman.com/story/news...x/70220827007/

"Kathryn Holmes, a Regional Transportation Authority consultant, said her talks with the BNSF and Tinker Air Force Base officials are going well.

The BNSF has a memorandum of understanding with the authority to cooperate in using its corridor between Edmond and Norman. Those talks will include drafting an agreement with BNSF to operate the commuter rail service with improvements to be made by the Regional Transportation Authority. "

Thanks, Rick!

Quote Originally Posted by The View Post
    Thanks, Rick!
    lol

All this new stuff and the new arena makes me worry being a wage earner as we are quickly becoming a city people like me can’t afford. I guess I will enjoy most of these places from a distance. Meanwhile my neighborhood has zero parks, zero libraries and shopping is very limited. I guess the folks with money will enjoy it all. That’s all that’s important in today’s America.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by NavySeabee View Post
    All this new stuff and the new arena makes me worry being a wage earner as we are quickly becoming a city people like me can’t afford. I guess I will enjoy most of these places from a distance. Meanwhile my neighborhood has zero parks, zero libraries and shopping is very limited. I guess the folks with money will enjoy it all. That’s all that’s important in today’s America.
    What’s your neighborhood?

The new projects also bring more employment, higher wages,etc.

17. Default Re: Between now and the summer of 2028

^^^^^^
    Plus additional sales taxes, which are the lifeblood of cities in Oklahoma. This is thanks to the Oklahoma constitution, which prohibits municipalities from most other significant forms of revenue. Sales taxes that pay for police, fire, water, trash, libraries, parks and infrastructure throughout the entire city. Many of the projects OKC invests in are designed to draw sales tax dollars from people who don't live in Oklahoma City - visitors, conventioneers, concert goers, sports attendees, equestrian event attendees, etc. - and put them into the City's coffers. This enhances quality of life and relieves tax burden for everyone who lives in this metro.

Quote Originally Posted by NavySeabee View Post
    Yeah, this was the main argument against funding the arena with public funds: the opportunity cost and the smoke and mirrors arguments about how arenas generate growth (they don't).

The city is going to see some tremendous growth in the next four years, but not everyone will benefit equally

19. Default Re: Between now and the summer of 2028

Quote Originally Posted by PoliSciGuy View Post
    The city is going to see some tremendous growth in the next four years, but not everyone will benefit equally
    There is virtually nothing beneficial in life that benefits everyone equally no matter where in the world you are. Whether economically, through quality of life or just psychologically, the new arena and the continued presence of the Thunder in OKC will benefit most people and the vast majority of voters disagree with you.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by PoliSciGuy View Post
    Not even in a communist world does everyone benefit equally at all times. If I don’t have kids I don’t benefit directly with a new school or maybe even with a new park, for instance. (However, in the long run I may need the expertise of someone educated by that school, or from someone who moved here because of the lifestyle contributed to by parks, for instance.)

If everything had to DIRECTLY AND IMMEDIATELY benefit everyone the exact same way and to the exact same magnitude, then NOTHING would ever be done in the public sector. It is naivety to think otherwise.

Excellent summary, Pete. Thank you.

I didn’t see the I-35 bridge replacement over the Oklahoma River mentioned. Is that still a go? In my mind, I had that slated to be finished in time for the Olympic events.

Picking up on the commuter rail topic, are there any indications that the Heartland Flyer Extension would be completed before the games?

Even having the more frequent service to fort worth would be great.

Thread Information