Widgets Magazine

Thread: OKC Lot Size Changes

1. Default OKC Lot Size Changes

https://www.oklahoman.com/story/news...s/73770735007/

So i was reading through this article and is struck me about how misleading surveys like this are.

If you read this, you're going to think man, my dollar isn't getting me as much land as it used to. But that's not the case. It's not differentiating between rural/suburban/urban OKC. Did you see how it says the average was 3.70 acres? Who here in this forum as an almost 4 acre lot or has even seen one outside of rural OKC?

That this tells ME, is that rural OKC (Which there is far more of than not) is converting over to more dense development as people sell their land as they retire/age or pass away and family sells it. As we develop that land into subdivisions, of course the lot size is smaller. But the land itself, is creating a much higher tax than it was before (and of course an increased utility demand drain).

I rolls my eyes when i read articles like this from the Oklahoma or other places that do these surveys. They mislead with the statistics instead of taking the time to tell the story. Each of the cities listed have a different reason for why whatever is happening. They just plop out stats like this with absolutely zero discussion. Not responsible journalism.

Default Re: OKC Lot Size Changes

Quote Originally Posted by bombermwc View Post
    https://www.oklahoman.com/story/news...s/73770735007/

So i was reading through this article and is struck me about how misleading surveys like this are.

If you read this, you're going to think man, my dollar isn't getting me as much land as it used to. But that's not the case. It's not differentiating between rural/suburban/urban OKC. Did you see how it says the average was 3.70 acres? Who here in this forum as an almost 4 acre lot or has even seen one outside of rural OKC?

That this tells ME, is that rural OKC (Which there is far more of than not) is converting over to more dense development as people sell their land as they retire/age or pass away and family sells it. As we develop that land into subdivisions, of course the lot size is smaller. But the land itself, is creating a much higher tax than it was before (and of course an increased utility demand drain).

I rolls my eyes when i read articles like this from the Oklahoma or other places that do these surveys. They mislead with the statistics instead of taking the time to tell the story. Each of the cities listed have a different reason for why whatever is happening. They just plop out stats like this with absolutely zero discussion. Not responsible journalism.
    living in new builds the last 10 years. The lots are getting smaller. You see lots getting under 40-50 feet wide now and smaller and the depth of lots is getting smaller to near just 100 feet. Where it used to be more like 70x150 size lots. Now it’s not uncommon for standard lot to be just 110x50

Default Re: OKC Lot Size Changes

To answer the question about lot sizes, yes there are pockets of acreage in areas of higher density in the metro area. Look around Lake Overholser in the Bethany/Okc area. Also around Portland north of 39th st. Here and there there are homes on half acre or acre plus lots in older areas. I am east of I 35 in the Edmond area that is building up with homes on smaller lots (think 6000 to 7000 sq ft) I just found out the land beside me sold and is also going to be developed. Its not retire, died as some younger people have bought land before this and are living on their acreages and putting $$$ into their places. My concern is for the wild life that I enjoy watching and feeding ie deer, turkeys, raccoons, rabbits and alot of others as the land develops.

Thread Information