Widgets Magazine
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Twisted Spike Brewery

Default Re: Twisted Spike Brewery

I was in earlier this week and I think they are up to 8-10 beers on tap and are adding a couple every week.

Great place... And even when I train went by blaring its horn, it wasn't unpleasant at all.

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    I was in earlier this week and I think they are up to 8-10 beers on tap and are adding a couple every week.

Great place... And even when I train went by blaring its horn, it wasn't unpleasant at all.
    I read recently that the quiet zone should be approved as soon as the end of the month.

Finally made it in tonight! 7 beers on tap. Wife had a flight. I had an IPA. We both enjoyed the IPA. Out of the 7 on the flight we liked all but 2. Of course everyone's taste is different. Overall we enjoyed it!

They have added food.

Stopped in yesterday night for a soft opening. The kitchen is being run by Calico Joe's out of Harrah and they had a variety of wraps and Mexican food. I had some nachos and they were quite good.

And for a Tuesday evening, that place was very busy. Pretty much every table and barstool was full.

Had a blood orange IPA (they also carry it on tap at Cultivar) and it was delicious.

They have added food.

Stopped in yesterday night for a soft opening. The kitchen is being run by Calico Joe's out of Harrah and they had a variety of wraps and Mexican food. I had some nachos and they were quite good.

And for a Tuesday evening, that place was very busy. Pretty much every table and barstool was full.

Had a blood orange IPA (they also carry it on tap at Cultivar) and it was delicious.
    this is great to hear! i'll have to check it out

Not the best pictures. But this is where the kitchen will be.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20180905_194836.jpg 
Views:	64 
Size:	3.01 MB 
ID:	14897

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20180905_194827.jpg 
Views:	72 
Size:	851.7 KB 
ID:	14898

^

Right, TS had that area set aside for a kitchen from the outset and found an operator they really like, so as far as I know, they are the first OKC taproom with full food service.

Blog Entries

For some reason I thought there was a restriction regarding having food at a tap room? I'm not following it closely so surely I just misheard.

Quote Originally Posted by shawnw View Post
    For some reason I thought there was a restriction regarding having food at a tap room? I'm not following it closely so surely I just misheard.
    No, there isn't... But, I believe some will be adding food after Oct. 1st because the new law will allow you to designate a bar area as over 21 (like many restaurants already do) and the remainder of the space can be family-friendly.

Blog Entries

Ah, I see. Maybe I heard something about that and jumped to a conclusion.

Twisted Spike is also somewhat unique in that they have a lot of space. Most the other taprooms are smaller.

And in the case of Prairie, the new Magasin Table restaurant will actually share tables in the common area.

It will be very interesting to see what all the taprooms plan to do with the new options available to them in a few weeks.

No, there isn't... But, I believe some will be adding food after Oct. 1st because the new law will allow you to designate a bar area as over 21 (like many restaurants already do) and the remainder of the space can be family-friendly.
    Will the ability to create family-friendly spaces in tap rooms be contingent on serving food? Or could any brewery tap room allow it?

Quote Originally Posted by benjico View Post
    Will the ability to create family-friendly spaces in tap rooms be contingent on serving food? Or could any brewery tap room allow it?
    I believe they can designate any portion as 21+ with the remainder being open to all areas.

This also mirrors restaurants and bars.

I just wanted to add that Twisted Spike seems to be doing a lot of stuff right. I recently had a "bike-to-brewery" event with ~15 friends wherein we biked and scootered all over downtown to visit Anthem, Stonecloud, Twisted Spike, and Prairie. It was an absolute blast. One of the best parts was that many of us found ourselves at Twisted Spike for the first time since they had opened. I was pleasantly surprised to see their offerings had seemingly quadrupled. When they first opened they had 4 or 5 beers on tap and every beer was pretty "safe" - things like a basic IPA, a blonde ale, etc. Me and my drinking buddies had not returned as we tend to gravitate toward more adventurous beers. Now, Twisted Spike seems to have started experimenting a bit. Twisted Spike now has some exotic beers as well as lots of offerings for people who are not beer snobs. Since our group of ~15 was very diverse, it made for a great time for everyone. We will be back again soon!

Also, the free popcorn and dart boards were beloved. The extra space at Twisted makes a difference.

^

Thanks for sharing that.

Also, TS has a big room at the very back that is great for small groups. I think it's available for free and as long as some beer is ordered, they are happy.

I will add that Bruce Sanchez -- the proprietor -- is just one of the genuinely nicest guys around. And his wife works there full-time. They really care about their beers and clientelle and it shows.

I am a fan of the barrel aged offerings that they have. It mixes two of my favorite things in one glass. Beer and whisky.

That is good to know, I assumed they still had the same 4-5 beers they had when they opened because that is all I ever seen on tap anywhere. I honestly I probably haven't been back to Twisted Spike since Prairie opened. With Stonecloud being the halfway point on my commute home and one of the best breweries in the country opening a taproom 2 blocks from Twisted Spike it just hasn't popped up on my radar.
    I will second that Bruce is a super nice guy.

There is a new restaurant inside Twisted Spike: Barley & Bees.

https://www.barleyandbees.com/

19. Default Re: Twisted Spike Brewery

Hadn't seen this posted yet, but Twisted Spike has also closed its doors as of Oct. 7th. Not sure what that means for Barley and the Bee.

Google shows that they are permanently closed.

21. Default Re: Twisted Spike Brewery

Quote Originally Posted by cinnamonjock View Post
    Google shows that they are permanently closed.
    Thanks for the info. I know they started as a food truck, wasn't sure if they were going to start that back up?

22. Default Re: Twisted Spike Brewery

I drove by the old Twisted Spike location yesterday and there is some activity going on there. Anyone know what's up with that?

Quote Originally Posted by ManAboutTown View Post
    I drove by the old Twisted Spike location yesterday and there is some activity going on there. Anyone know what's up with that?
    It is being converted to offices for a janitorial company.

24. Default Re: Twisted Spike Brewery

It is being converted to offices for a janitorial company.
    Well, that's not very fun.

25. Default Re: Twisted Spike Brewery

Honestly it’s a better use of that building so long as 10th is configured as a freeway. Patrons who were driving (against the advice and mandates of lawmakers AND and law enforcement) were forced to find parking away from the brewery, and ALL arrivals were forced to make a hazardous walk in both directions, one while presumably at least somewhat under the influence. I won’t spend time editorializing the beers and branding; it was always a bad location for a brewery.

Thread Information