Widgets Magazine

Thread: Broadway Extension: Our Autobahn.

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Re: Broadway Extension: Our Autobahn.

Quote Originally Posted by jerrywall View Post
    I've known habitual drunk drivers who say the same thing.
    Drunk driving equals speeding lol okay

Quote Originally Posted by Plutonic Panda View Post
    In terms of annual fatalities yeah, they're pretty close.

From the NHTSA - https://www.nhtsa.gov/risky-driving/speeding

Speeding endangers everyone on the road: In 2021, speeding killed 12,330 people. We all know the frustrations of modern life and juggling a busy schedule, but speed limits are put in place to protect all road users. Learn about the dangers of speeding and why faster doesn’t mean safer.
    and also the NHTSA - https://www.nhtsa.gov/risky-driving/drunk-driving

Every day, about 37 people in the United States die in drunk-driving crashes — that's one person every 39 minutes. In 2021, 13,384 people died in alcohol-impaired driving traffic deaths — a 14% increase from 2020. These deaths were all preventable.
    About 37 vs about 34 people a day. I guess you can decide that 3 is significantly worse, but IMO they're about the same. They're both deliberate acts that result in thousands of preventable deaths a year.

Quote Originally Posted by jerrywall View Post
    In terms of annual fatalities yeah, they're pretty close.

From the NHTSA - https://www.nhtsa.gov/risky-driving/speeding

and also the NHTSA - https://www.nhtsa.gov/risky-driving/drunk-driving

About 37 vs about 34 people a day. I guess you can decide that 3 is significantly worse, but IMO they're about the same. They're both deliberate acts that result in thousands of preventable deaths a year.
    They’re contributing factors not always the cause of the crash. Lots of people just don’t know how to drive defensively or at all. That’s the problem. Not speeding. I can understand enforcing speed limits on local roads but not freeways.

OT question.. you drive electric vehicles mostly, right? Do all the connectivity gadgets talk to your insurance providers about your driving habits? If they do and you're still going 100MPH, no problem, and haven't seen massive hikes on your insurance bill, I would guess that'd be as good an answer as any as to how actually dangerous to yourself and others this behavior is.

I do know triple digits in Oklahoma = pretty much an automatic reckless driving charge, which has to be equivalent or not quite as bad as a DUI for insurance purposes.

Quote Originally Posted by Midtowner View Post
    OT question.. you drive electric vehicles mostly, right? Do all the connectivity gadgets talk to your insurance providers about your driving habits? If they do and you're still going 100MPH, no problem, and haven't seen massive hikes on your insurance bill, I would guess that'd be as good an answer as any as to how actually dangerous to yourself and others this behavior is.

I do know triple digits in Oklahoma = pretty much an automatic reckless driving charge, which has to be equivalent or not quite as bad as a DUI for insurance purposes.
    Well I’ve been pulled over for triple digits before in Oklahoma and though I have been cited with a reckless once all the other times I’ve been let go with less than that. Still got a tickets though. Now granted those times were at little to no traffic and that was probably factored in. Had I been racing(which I used to do when I young) it’d be worse. Probably an arrest. I have family in law enforcement.

I don’t let insurance companies monitor my driving habits. I also have only been involved in a single at fault wreck when I was going below the speed limit on a turn in inclement conditions when I was 20 and hit someone. I’m now 30 and haven’t been involved in anything else knock on wood.

I’m not going to sit here and argue about advocating for driving over 100. I do it when I feel it’s safe. Like it or don’t I couldn’t care less. Bitch about how dangerous I am I don’t care. Cars are inherently dangerous and there’s a lot of other drivers out there who abide by the speed limit you should worry about than me.

Yes I have a lot of tickets on my record. I have no animosity towards police officers. They are doing their job. I also don’t fault insurance even though I think they’re scams on some level I can see why they charge me higher rates and premiums than others who have better driving records than I do. FWIW I drove without a license for years.

Well I’ve been pulled over for triple digits before in Oklahoma and though I have been cited with a reckless once all the other times I’ve been let go with less than that. Still got a tickets though. Now granted those times were at little to no traffic and that was probably factored in. Had I been racing(which I used to do when I young) it’d be worse. Probably an arrest. I have family in law enforcement.

I don’t let insurance companies monitor my driving habits. I also have only been involved in a single at fault wreck when I was going below the speed limit on a turn in inclement conditions when I was 20 and hit someone. I’m now 30 and haven’t been involved in anything else knock on wood.

I’m not going to sit here and argue about advocating for driving over 100. I do it when I feel it’s safe. Like it or don’t I couldn’t care less. Bitch about how dangerous I am I don’t care. Cars are inherently dangerous and there’s a lot of other drivers out there who abide by the speed limit you should worry about than me.

Yes I have a lot of tickets on my record. I have no animosity towards police officers. They are doing their job. I also don’t fault insurance even though I think they’re scams on some level I can see why they charge me higher rates and premiums than others who have better driving records than I do. FWIW I drove without a license for years.
    Genuine curiosity/no judgment. I'm being good serving a deferred sentence on a 97 in a 65 ticket I got between Lawton and Chickasha. I was told triple digits = a reckless in most Oklahoma jurisdictions and the Troopers who pulled me over had a good long discussion as to whether to ring me up for reckless.. But in the middle of nowhere, say, driving from Beaver to Guymon, 100MPH + is the flow of traffic.

Genuine curiosity/no judgment. I'm being good serving a deferred sentence on a 97 in a 65 ticket I got between Lawton and Chickasha. I was told triple digits = a reckless in most Oklahoma jurisdictions and the Troopers who pulled me over had a good long discussion as to whether to ring me up for reckless.. But in the middle of nowhere, say, driving from Beaver to Guymon, 100MPH + is the flow of traffic.
    is it correct that 20 over speeding can be a reckless if the officer wants it to be

Quote Originally Posted by BoulderSooner View Post
    is it correct that 20 over speeding can be a reckless if the officer wants it to be
    They can also tie in multiple traffic offenses in one stop to a careless or reckless driving IIRC.

I don’t usually drive too fast as I used to. But I don’t like speed limits that are too low and society’s perception 100 is something not even to be considered. It just looks fast on paper. I was driving an Escalade a couple years back from Laguna beach to Vegas and I hit 120 and barely noticed it as there was as no one around me either when I caught up to traffic everyone else was going 80-95 with a mix of slower drivers in the left lanes going 70. It’s a joke. But when I slowed down in traffic I felt like I was going soooooo slow.

I will say going faster definitely hurts your pocket book. I’ve driven I-40 from Barstow to OKC more than I can remember and you can save quite a bit(less fuel stops), going 85-90 versus 70-75. As of late I’ve just explored different routes and only really gun it if it’s an empty off interstate road and I can see the horizon.

Thread Information