^^^^^^^^
That’s essentially correct. My understanding was that key 89ers ownership (which included Clay Bennett and the Gaylord family as majority shareholder at the time) likely had already invested in development of the RedHawks name and marks, as they were also among the potential owner group for an NHL club, which OKC seemed to be within reach of obtaining via expansion.

At the time the Blazers were the best-attended minor league hockey franchise in North America (never mind the fact that this was heavily bolstered by comps). Mayor Norick had connections with the NHL (including the fact that his son Lance’s NASCAR team was sponsored by the NHL), OKC had a new NHL-capable arena coming via MAPS, and the NHL gave OKC a serious look during the expansion process, including a Board of Governors visit to the city. At the end of the day Columbus and Minnesota prevailed, however.

So (again, this is second-hand info, so take it with a grain of salt) the 89ers ownership had brand new marks sitting on the shelf, and they were moving into a beautiful, brand new ballpark, so the decision was made to change the team’s name to drive excitement. Seems to have worked; the ballpark was absolutely PACKED for the first few seasons.

I can’t swear that this is the way it went down, and I don’t believe it was definitively reported upon, but it was really sort of a “worst kept secret” at the time.