Widgets Magazine

Thread: The Oklahoma City Dodgers are the 2023 Pacific Coast League Champions!

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Re: The Oklahoma City Dodgers are the 2023 Pacific Coast League Champions!

Figured this wasn’t worth starting a new thread over but is there a short story to why the 89ers changed their name to the RedHawks? I was very young when that happened so I remember going to games in their final season at All Sports Stadium but nothing beyond that.

Default Re: The Oklahoma City Dodgers are the 2023 Pacific Coast League Champions!

Quote Originally Posted by Mississippi Blues View Post
    Figured this wasn’t worth starting a new thread over but is there a short story to why the 89ers changed their name to the RedHawks? I was very young when that happened so I remember going to games in their final season at All Sports Stadium but nothing beyond that.
    From what I heard the RedHawks branding started as part of an attempt to bringing in a higher tier hockey team, since there was either overlap or partnership with the group running 89ers, when that failed they decided to apply the merch/branding to the existing local baseball team.

Quote Originally Posted by Snowman View Post
    From what I heard the RedHawks branding started as part of an attempt to bringing in a higher tier hockey team, since there was either overlap or partnership with the group running 89ers, when that failed they decided to apply the merch/branding to the existing local baseball team.
    i thought it was all related to the move to Bricktown ballpark. new stadium, new team. as an attempt to try and drive merch sales

Quote Originally Posted by Mississippi Blues View Post
    It sucks because I always thought the 89ers was their coolest branding as it had a real local tie in. Redhawks just never really did it for me and the Dodgers have nothing to do with OK at all.

Thread Information