Widgets Magazine
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Chipotle

1. Default Re: Chipotle Lovers!!

Well I'll tell you this, I'll drive to Edmond from downtown just to eat Chipotle!

Default Re: Chipotle Lovers!!

Quote Originally Posted by Misty View Post
    Well, I hate being in a car and hate driving even more, so I certainly wouldn't drive that far for a burrito. A killer steak or some damn good BBQ, yes, but a burrito? No. But then again I also will stare at my empty fridge for a month and eat crackers every day before I'll drive to a grocery store so I may not be the best one to ask
    Freebirds is about the closest thing you can get to an edible orgasm. Its that good. I had some while visiting friends in San Marcos and words cannot describe the delectable goodness that is Freebirds.

Yes it is definitely worth the drive.

An edible orgasm eh?

I would drive for that.

4. Default Re: Chipotle Lovers!!

Chipotle is no different than Qdoba. Eat at both and you can count the differences on one hand.

shredded beef.

Chipotle grew so fast because McDonald's had controlling interest in the chain for 7 years. For several of those years McDonald's owned over 90% of the company. For better or worse (some say worse) they no longer own a single share. The founder-CEO from Denver would have never been able to expand so fast had it not been for McDonald's. McDonald's also recently sold their Boston Market chain; I would love to see those in OKC as its one of the few fast-food places with healthy food on the run.

7. Default Re: Chipotle Lovers!!

Wichita had a Boston Barfet for a while, but it went out several years ago.

As you can see, I'm not a fan.

Boston Market, healthy? Not sure about healthy but its more slow cooked comfort food. Have you seen how many carbs, calories and sodium are in Boston Markets food?

9. Default Re: Chipotle Lovers!!

Well, I have to say, I'm a big Chipotle fan. Freebirds is also good. I used to live in Houston and ate at both, but I have to say, I personally prefer Chipotle. I don't like Qdoba if for nothing else but the design. Compare the design of Chipotle to Qdoba and there's your difference. I'm talking design of the facilities and the brand in general. Qdoba is wholly owned by Jack in the Box, in case you didn't know. Not that there's anything wrong with that, I just think it's interesting to know.

Anyway, my thoughts on Chipotle can be found on my blog here:

Chipotle Mexican Grill: a guide for Oklahoma City

It officially opens tomorrow, so check it out and leave your comments on your favorite things to eat there.

Coming from Denver, I've had lots of Chipotle and Qdoba as well.

Personally, I prefer Qdoba, but then there's nothing wrong with Chipotle.

Qdoba has a larger menu, many more choices and even a kids menu.

Even so, I'm glad to see Chipotle is now here in Oklahoma too.

I decided to go to Chipotle today, since I was at Freebirds so recently and could hopefully compare. I tried to order a burrito as close to the one I had at Freebirds as possible, in order to make a reasonable comparison. My Chipotle burrito was good, but I preferred Freebirds for reasons as follows: More than one tortilla choice. I really like spinach tortillas, and that is an option at Freebirds and not at Chipotle. I liked the rice better at Freebirds. I ordered the tomatillo sauce at both restuarants and while the Chipotle sauce was a little spicier, which I liked, the sauce was far less flavorful. The guacamole at Chipotle was cold, which dramatically dropped the temperature of my burrito, whereas it was room temperature at Freebirds. They were both good, and I think they're better than Moe's, although it's probably been too long since I've eaten there to compare well. May have to eat there next!

I ate at Chipotle last night, I too think it was better than Moe's or Qdoba, but only slightly. As someone above said, you can count the differences on one hand. I think the quality is just slightly a step above of the other places. I have yet to try Freebirds. I too think probably the only difference why others might think it is better (and it may be) because of more choices (i.e. sauces, tortillas, etc.) as someone pointed out. I personally think the quality of rice, beans, meat, guac, etc. can only get so good for a $6 burrito, other than that, it's just personal preference. Of course a person from Austin, is probably going to favor Freebirds more since it's local and what they know more, just like a person from Denver probably prefers Qdoba or Chipotle better.

13. Default Re: Chipotle Lovers!!

I ADORE Chipotle. It's all about the meat to me. Their meat is great. Beans and rice are outstanding too. Haven't been to Freebirds or Qdoba, but Moe's isn't as good. Seems like the burritos are smaller there too.

Metro,

Freebirds didn't start in Austin or even Texas for that matter...

Freebirds World Burrito - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

For what it's worth, I think Chipotle has the highest quality ingredients and is the most fresh. So many people go there that the food never has a chance to sit around. I also think the cilantro lime rice is much better than the standard spanish-style rice. It's also nice that they have carnitas and barbacoa. The thin sliced romaine lettuce is really good too.

Did I mention that I own Chipotle stock? I probably have to disclose that.

That being said, Freebirds is really good and I live in Norman so, I will go there a lot. Mission Burrito in Houston is my favorite though.

Quote Originally Posted by BFizzy View Post
    Metro,

Freebirds didn't start in Austin or even Texas for that matter...

Freebirds World Burrito - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    Thanks for the clarification, although Wikipedia isn't a good source to use for references since you or I can edit it. In fact, it looks like we're both wrong, according to Freebirds own website (much more reliable than the Wiki), the first location was in Santa Barbara not Isla Vista. Freebirds World Burrito

Most scholars don't consider it a reputable source. Either way, you get my point on its all about personal preference and geography of what is more common in your area.

17. Default Re: Chipotle Lovers!!

Academia may hate it because it takes away their job, but Wiki is usually pretty accurate. Especially in non-controversial entrys.

Isla Vista is right next to Santa Barbara and is basically party central for UCSB. The Freebirds I've been to is in Isla Vista and is the one that my Santa Barbara friends took me to long ago. It's legendary, but it's possible they had one in SB first. However, I think the franchise chain is in name only. In any event, the IV Freebirds is definitely the best burrito I have ever had. Never been to Chipotle, though.

Painted on the window. . .in the strip center across from Baptist (close to Conn's). . .Chipotle # XXXX. Anyone know when they are scheduled to open?

20. Default Re: Chipotle Lovers!!

Quote Originally Posted by foodiefan View Post
    Painted on the window. . .in the strip center across from Baptist (close to Conn's). . .Chipotle # XXXX. Anyone know when they are scheduled to open?
    Yeah, just saw it this week! I'm pretty excited about it since that's really close to my office. Not sure on the open but it looks like they've got quite a bit of work to do. I'd guess 2-3 months at least.

I sent an email to Chipotle HQ asking about it, but not sure if I'll hear back anything. Will post if I do.

21. Default Re: Chipotle Lovers!!

You guys who like Chipotle/Qdoba/Moes/Freebirds etc, what do you think about Taco Del Mar?

We have lots of em up here (not many Chipotle and qdoba just recently expanded here). But Taco Del Mar is sort of a favourite up here -

OKC has one in Midwest City. Give it a try/post what you think.
    Oklahoma City, the RENAISSANCE CITY!

Quote Originally Posted by HOT ROD View Post
    You guys who like Chipotle/Qdoba/Moes/Freebirds etc, what do you think about Taco Del Mar?

We have lots of em up here (not many Chipotle and qdoba just recently expanded here). But Taco Del Mar is sort of a favourite up here -

OKC has one in Midwest City. Give it a try/post what you think.

I went to the Taco Del Mar in MWC twice. The first time, my food was okay but not as good as the other places. The second time, we almost didn't order because the whole place smelled like rotting fish inside. The food tasted slightly better then than the first time, but nothing I would go back for.

HUH FRICKIN' RAY!!!!!! I was just telling all my friends the other day that OKC just doesn't have enough places that you can find everywhere else!!!!

...totally excited

24. Default Re: Chipotle Lovers!!

OKC has almost every place we have in Seattle, I can only think of Jacknthebox and Dicks being the only two that OKC doesn't have. Yet, Dicks is a local chain so I wouldn't expect OKC to have it.

Yet, OKC has WAY MORE than what we have. We JUST NOW got Long John Silvers (and they are in Tacoma suburbs), for instance, and all Popeye's are also in Tacoma suburbs. We have no Sonic, no Carl's Junior/Hardees, and no Chili's (they just left). We also have no Ruby Tuesdays (tacoma does tho), no barrell (I forget the name), no furrs, etc.

Count your blessings, OKC is sort of a food mecca. Here, not so much.
    Oklahoma City, the RENAISSANCE CITY!

25. Default Re: Chipotle Lovers!!

i prefer ATOMIC BURRITO to CHIPOTLE.
    i may be wrong, but i think it was atomic burrito that started in austin.

Thread Information