Widgets Magazine

Thread: Paying college athletes

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Re: Paying college athletes

Quote Originally Posted by jedicurt View Post
    i mean the federal government disagrees with you and says that it applies to employees as well. as it currently applies to professors and staff. sooo... think you just don't understand everything Title IX actually covers.
    no it doesn't disagree with me in any way ..

if you think that womens rowers are going to be in the same union and make the same as football players ... then i have lots of ocean front property in arizona to sell you ..

Quote Originally Posted by BoulderSooner View Post

if you think that womens rowers are going to be in the same union and make the same as football players ... then i have lots of ocean front property in arizona to sell you ..
    "Because Title IX does not contain limiting language as does Title VI, the courts have concluded that Title IX reaches employment discrimination in the educational programs or activities of recipients without limitation."

https://www.justice.gov/crt/title-ix...Discrimination

So from the doj website. Yes, you are wrong, title IX discrimination applies to employees as well, and thus the school would not be able to collectively bargain with a union that was only made up of football players. I mean we can keep going back and forth, but I'm going to take the doj website over your opinions on the matter.

"Because Title IX does not contain limiting language as does Title VI, the courts have concluded that Title IX reaches employment discrimination in the educational programs or activities of recipients without limitation."

https://www.justice.gov/crt/title-ix...Discrimination

So from the doj website. Yes, you are wrong, title IX discrimination applies to employees as well, and thus the school would not be able to collectively bargain with a union that was only made up of football players. I mean we can keep going back and forth, but I'm going to take the doj website over your opinions on the matter.
    they would not be part of any educational program ..

they would not be part of any educational program ..
    /facepalm... you just keep proving that you know absolutely nothing about how universities are organized and governed. "or activities" is the key part of that phrase that you missed. you just needed to read two more words.

/facepalm... you just keep proving that you know absolutely nothing about how universities are organized and governed. "or activities" is the key part of that phrase that you missed. you just needed to read two more words.
    and you clearly don't understand where college football is going ..

and you clearly don't understand where college football is going ..
    i mean... i guess you are right. i only know that the attempts to create a union so far have all failed because the NRLB says they don't have jurisdiction and it's a title ix issue for jurisdiction. [SARCASM] so, guess myself, the NRLB, the NCAA, universities, and the DOJ are all in the dark, and you are the only one who actually knows what is happening. which of course you have proven with all of your comments of proof to back it up. [/SARCASM]

And remember. I haven't said that a union will be formed, infact I don't think that athletes want to be employees, and so I don't think unions are even an option. I'm just saying yet again that your scenario that they will make a union and that it was "undeniable" was actually pretty easy to deny, since the schools and NCAA couldnt legally bargain with said hypothetical union.

And remember. I haven't said that a union will be formed, infact I don't think that athletes want to be employees, and so I don't think unions are even an option. I'm just saying yet again that your scenario that they will make a union and that it was "undeniable" was actually pretty easy to deny, since the schools and NCAA couldnt legally bargain with said hypothetical union.
    some football players have already tried to unionize .. the business of college sports is going to continue to change ... and it is really easy to see where it is headed without federal legislation ..

some football players have already tried to unionize .. the business of college sports is going to continue to change ... and it is really easy to see where it is headed without federal legislation ..
    and it failed. because the NRLB ruled that it didn't have jurisdiction over educational institutions. that is why it failed at northwestern back in 2014-15, and what people seemed to miss in the 2022 NRLB statement in california. that they felt that student athletes are mistreated, but that they don't have the jurisdiction for further ruling. so now, it really doesn't look like that is where it is headed anytime soon.

Blog Entries

All union workers working for the same employer don’t make the same pay. There are usually pay scales dependent on skills required, experience, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Rover View Post
    All union workers working for the same employer don’t make the same pay. There are usually pay scales dependent on skills required, experience, etc.
    Exactly. UPS pays its union drivers very handsomely but the rest of the union staff is paid crumbs to offset the exorbitant driver pay.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by April in the Plaza View Post
    Exactly. UPS pays its union drivers very handsomely but the rest of the union staff is paid crumbs to offset the exorbitant driver pay.
    That is a totally incorrect interpretation of what I said and not bound in any reality. Sadly, people only want to believe in the promoted caricatures of unions without having any actual experience or knowledge of how they work or why they are necessary.

Quote Originally Posted by Rover View Post
    That is a totally incorrect interpretation of what I said and not bound in any reality. Sadly, people only want to believe in the promoted caricatures of unions without having any actual experience or knowledge of how they work or why they are necessary.
    Wrong.

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/ups-tea...me-pay-debate/

https://www.tdu.org/how_two_tier_con..._weaken_unions

Thread Information