Widgets Magazine

Thread: JK by Chef King (formerly Blue’s BBQ)

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Re: JK by Chef King (formerly Blue’s BBQ)

While Michelin stars are given to the restaurant, it is given to them on-behalf of the Chef. The restaurant decore, style, price, location, etc have nothing to do with it. It is 100% from what is on the plate. If the Chef leaves the restaurant gets reevaluated. From the Michelin star guide.

A Michelin Star is awarded to restaurants offering outstanding cooking. We take into account five universal criteria: the quality of the ingredients, the harmony of flavours, the mastery of techniques, the personality of the chef as expressed through their cuisine and, just as importantly, consistency both across the entire menu and over time.

Is the decoration/style of restaurant a factor in awarding a Star?
    No. A Michelin Star is awarded for the food on the plate – nothing else. The style of a restaurant and its degree of formality or informality have no bearing whatsoever on the award.

https://guide.michelin.com/us/en/art...-michelin-star

Quote Originally Posted by Just the facts View Post
    While Michelin stars are given to the restaurant, it is given to them on-behalf of the Chef. The restaurant decore, style, price, location, etc have nothing to do with it. It is 100% from what is on the plate. From the Michelin star guide.

A Michelin Star is awarded to restaurants offering outstanding cooking. We take into account five universal criteria: the quality of the ingredients, the harmony of flavours, the mastery of techniques, the personality of the chef as expressed through their cuisine and, just as importantly, consistency both across the entire menu and over time.

Is the decoration/style of restaurant a factor in awarding a Star?
    No. A Michelin Star is awarded for the food on the plate – nothing else. The style of a restaurant and its degree of formality or informality have no bearing whatsoever on the award.

https://guide.michelin.com/us/en/art...-michelin-star
    While Michelin may list those as the only requirements. I promise you that they take into consideration the service and ambiance. The food has an absolutely massive weight to the overall rating. The ability of the service staff to execute service for each individual guest is a huge factor in moving from one star restaurant to two and three. I have been fortunate enough in my life to be able to dine at dozens of Michelin starred restaurants including a lot of the most prominent spots in the US like Alinea, Per Se, The French Laundry, Le Benardin, Quince, EMP, and Masa. I am absolutely not an authority on the topic, but in my subjective experience Michelin starred properties consider service to be almost as important as the food coming out of the kitchen. Talking to Will Guidara of EMP about a year and a half ago and he 100% believes in the power of hospitality in pushing a restaurant to the next level.

These guys trying to present themselves as "Michelin trained chefs" is bull****. A ton of our local community of culinarians have both stage'd and worked at Michelin properties, and none of them are dumb enough to try and claim a pedigree. I will not be surprised if these guys go to zero. They are trying to represent themselves as more qualified than they are, so they are going to have a steep hill to climb to prove they aren't **** to the hospitality community of OKC.

Quote Originally Posted by citywokchinesefood View Post
    While Michelin may list those as the only requirements. I promise you that they take into consideration the service and ambiance. The food has an absolutely massive weight to the overall rating. The ability of the service staff to execute service for each individual guest is a huge factor in moving from one star restaurant to two and three. I have been fortunate enough in my life to be able to dine at dozens of Michelin starred restaurants including a lot of the most prominent spots in the US like Alinea, Per Se, The French Laundry, Le Benardin, Quince, EMP, and Masa. I am absolutely not an authority on the topic, but in my experience Michelin starred properties consider service to be almost as important as the food coming out of the kitchen.
    A chef of that caliber probably isn't going to work in a shabby restaurant but my comment was directed at the whole debate around the phrase Michelin starred chef. Tom Brady never won a Super Bowl. He played on a team that won the Super Bowl. Super Bowl victories are awarded to the team. Anyone want to argue that Tom Brady isn't a Super Bowl winner?

Quote Originally Posted by Just the facts View Post
    A chef of that caliber probably isn't going to work in a shabby restaurant but my comment was directed at the whole debate around the phrase Michelin starred chef. Tom Brady never won a Super Bowl. He played on a team that won the Super Bowl. Super Bowl victories are awarded to the team. Anyone want to argue that Tom Brady isn't a Super Bowl winner?
    I understand what you are trying to say. The thing is they are presenting themselves as something they are not on both their website and press releases. It does not bode well for the success of their restaurant. The awards do not follow you from one restaurant to the next. I would love if they came in and help push the standard higher in the OKC restaurant scene.

Thread Information