Widgets Magazine
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: The Hub

Default Re: The Hub

I was actually wondering about this the other day. Looks like the designs have slightly changed, and looks better. Glad to see this moving forward. This should call for another crane in Midtown!

as this intersection develops on the NW (and then the NE and SE ) i would expect Midtown R to eventually build out the SW corner as well ..

Wow, this is somehow even bigger than I envisioned and is going to drastically change the feel of that intersection.

Also, this could be a killer location to live in a few years should the rumors be true that the commuter rail stop will be at NW 13th.

The architecture leaves a lot to be desired. It is sorta wild to throw 10's of millions of $$ into something and not make it look nicer. I know beauty is in the eye of the beholder but this looks...lazy and cheap (design-wise)

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    They have submitted their plans for design approval.

Looks like this may be starting soon.

I will always approve of this much additional multi-family housing going up in the core, but I do wish the design meshed a bit better with the existing Garage Apartments.

I am guessing that the developers don't own the Garage building and therefore can't do this, but I honestly think it would be preferable to knock that building down rather than build something around it that clashes so terribly. Otherwise, this seems like a fantastic project.

Yes, separate ownership of the Garage and the building on the NW corner of that block, which is why they are building around both.

I kinda feel like the design will look better in person.

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    Yes, separate ownership of the Garage and the building on the NW corner of that block, which is why they are building around both.
    Side note, but it would be a hard pass for me to live at those apartments for the next year or two while they are around a massive construction site lmao. Especially with the huge windows that all of the units have.

Quote Originally Posted by SEMIweather View Post
    Side note, but it would be a hard pass for me to live at those apartments for the next year or two while they are around a massive construction site lmao. Especially with the huge windows that all of the units have.
    True, but that is part and parcel of living in a thriving city.

Just somewhat new to OKC.

Quote Originally Posted by David View Post
    I will always approve of this much additional multi-family housing going up in the core, but I do wish the design meshed a bit better with the existing Garage Apartments.
    Ouch, that's why we can't get many nice thing in OKC. Let's knock everything down, it's much cheaper and easier, yay! Good architects will know how to blend the new with the old pretty well.

I am guessing that the developers don't own the Garage building and therefore can't do this, but I honestly think it would be preferable to knock that building down rather than build something around it that clashes so terribly. Otherwise, this seems like a fantastic project.
    I don't understand this sentiment. Knocking down the Garage building would be the worst possible outcome here IMHO. At least the Garage building breaks up the Hub's very monolithic presence.

Blog Entries

Pete, is Labarthe still the owner/developer? Is he doing the apartments as well, or is that someone else?

Quote Originally Posted by dankrutka View Post
    I don't understand this sentiment. Knocking down the Garage building would be the worst possible outcome here IMHO. At least the Garage building breaks up the Hub's very monolithic presence.
    I just think it's going to look very jarring once completed. The Edge has a monolithic presence as well, but since it takes up the entire block, I think that it works. In any case, it's just a difference of a opinion, and PluPan could be right about it looking better in person. And all in all, I do think that the increased density will be a huge improvement for this intersection. Just have a feeling that it's not going to be the most aesthetically pleasing thing to look at lol.

I just think it's going to look very jarring once completed. The Edge has a monolithic presence as well, but since it takes up the entire block, I think that it works. In any case, it's just a difference of a opinion, and PluPan could be right about it looking better in person. And all in all, I do think that the increased density will be a huge improvement for this intersection. Just have a feeling that it's not going to be the most aesthetically pleasing thing to look at lol.
    We're coming up with a new district. "The Regrettable Buildings" District anchored by The Hub to the north and Broadway Park to the south and infilled mostly by repurposed car dealerships and an art museum that ignores the street entirely.

Quote Originally Posted by dankrutka View Post
    Agreed. I actually like the varied architecture. Not everything needs to “blend in.” I think it’ll be cool but I’ll reserve judgement until it’s finished.

Some background on the geography (forgive me if you already know)-Heritage Hills stops at Robinson, which is the west edge of this project. The area from 13th north to 23rd, and Robinson east to Broadway is the Heritage Hills East neighborhood. The commercial/church properties in this area are 13th west to Classen, 14th west almost to Hudson, 15th west to Harvey, and the west side of Robinson north almost to 16th.

Robinson is south bound one way from 16th street. Although 14th is 2 way from Broadway to Shartel, the street parking for The Hub is east bound angle parking. Appears the existing alley between 13th and 14th will be used in some capacity to allow flow onto 14th from the parking garage. That would appear to be the only way that any The Hub traffic could provide an increase into Heritage Hills.

Quote Originally Posted by DoctorTaco View Post
    We're coming up with a new district. "The Regrettable Buildings" District anchored by The Hub to the north and Broadway Park to the south and infilled mostly by repurposed car dealerships and an art museum that ignores the street entirely.
    I would agree that Broadway Park is a "regrettable building," however I don't see The Hub being anything like BP. This will feature an apartment building that will probably be full within a year of completion as well as a nice looking midrise that will add something to the skyline from certain perspectives. The only change I'd like to see is to the Garage building and it being painted white to match this development.

It seems that there will be yet another crane going up in the city pretty soon.

Quote Originally Posted by Dob Hooligan View Post
    Some background on the geography (forgive me if you already know)-Heritage Hills stops at Robinson, which is the west edge of this project. The area from 13th north to 23rd, and Robinson east to Broadway is the Heritage Hills East neighborhood. The commercial/church properties in this area are 13th west to Classen, 14th west almost to Hudson, 15th west to Harvey, and the west side of Robinson north almost to 16th...
    Heritage Hills East was absorbed by Heritage Hills several years ago, and no longer exists. Heritage Hills now goes east to Broadway.

Quote Originally Posted by DelCamino View Post
    Heritage Hills East was absorbed by Heritage Hills several years ago, and no longer exists. Heritage Hills now goes east to Broadway.
    In that case I happily stand corrected

Do we know the square footage of office space for the CoreBank office building? Are they occupying the whole building?

Quote Originally Posted by G.Walker View Post
    Do we know the square footage of office space for the CoreBank office building? Are they occupying the whole building?
    61,000 square feet and Core Bank will occupy the first and second stories with a restaurant taking the 7th floor and outdoor patio -- should have great views.

That restaurant will have one of the best views in OKC. The view coming down Broadway is awesome.

25. Default Re: The Hub

AWE-sum. This is a wonderful development.

Yes, I too wish the residential had different design elements to break things up, but the midrise tower is fantastic and I do like how the residential complements it.

Cant wait to see a couple more cranes. ... (sigh)..... cranes... pop up for this.
    Oklahoma City, the RENAISSANCE CITY!

Thread Information