Widgets Magazine
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: The Hub

Default Re: The Hub

Quote Originally Posted by David View Post
    Is Richard McKown still the developer on this, or are the owners working with someone else?
    I don't think McKown is involved. It's a group of investors headed by a local attorney and I'm sure Core Bank has an interest.

2. Default Re: The Hub

Bought my first real car on that corner in 1987. A brand new shiny red Mazda RX-7. Man I loved that car. Glad to see the corner getting redeveloped.

Quote Originally Posted by ChaseDweller View Post
    Bought my first real car on that corner in 1987. A brand new shiny red Mazda RX-7. Man I loved that car. Glad to see the corner getting redeveloped.
    Was it a Jack Robbins dealership?

I bought my first new car from Jack Robbins in Auto Alley in 1982. An Audi 4000. And like you, I loved that car.

This is straight from memory, so some items may be fuzzy.

SW corner 14th & Broadway: A Texaco station was right on the corner until late 1980s. Next door east was the Jack Robbins Porsche-Audi body shop. Next door east of that was the body shop for the Buick dealer (Doug Lady, etc). Next is an existing alley. Next was/is 3 Circle Art building, which is not part of the new development.

NW corner 13th & Broadway: Buick dealership (Doug Lady/Steve someone/Rock Richardson) later had Isuzu, Oldsmobile, Jeep and Mazda.

NE corner 13th & Robinson. Shopping center that had Brown's Bakery and several other tenants through the years. Later bought and cleared by Bob Moore.

NW corner 14th & Broadway was Jack Robbins Porsche-Audi. Sold to Bob Moore around 1990.

Wow! Great! Love this density coming to the core. Hopefully we will be approaching some of this long desires critical mass to help spur additional resources, transit etc.

Now all we need is an actual grocery store downtown, and these residents will be all set. I keep hoping some developer will be imaginative enough to include one in their plans, but alas, not yet.

No sense in letting spectacular be the enemy of great. This will help the core a lot!

Should be starting soon...

And yet another midrise infill to add to the back end skyline. Does this mean we'll be seeing yet another crane grace our city?

Speaking of skylines do any other cities of OKCs size have a second skyline like OKC does in the NW?

South Tulsa has a pretty nice skyline....Warren Place Towers, and around the St John Medical Center area.

Quote Originally Posted by Plutonic Panda View Post
    Speaking of skylines do any other cities of OKCs size have a second skyline like OKC does in the NW?
    Atlanta has about 3 of them, each of them can be cities in and of themselves. New York has as many as perspective will allow.

Quote Originally Posted by HFAA Alum View Post
    Atlanta has about 3 of them, each of them can be cities in and of themselves. New York has as many as perspective will allow.
    There were 3 words PluPan mentioned that you seemed to miss: "of OKC's size". Are Atlanta or NYC OKC's size? What about LA or San Fran? Why not throw Chicago in there, as well

I think OKC has 2 fairly well-defined skylines. I think the OUHSC could easily be a third, as well.

Quote Originally Posted by chssooner View Post
    There were 3 words PluPan mentioned that you seemed to miss: "of OKC's size". Are Atlanta or NYC OKC's size? What about LA or San Fran? Why not throw Chicago in there, as well

I think OKC has 2 fairly well-defined skylines. I think the OUHSC could easily be a third, as well.
    Thank you lol.

Quote Originally Posted by Plutonic Panda View Post
    Thank you lol.
    My bad. I was recording some music when i read it and didn't read all the way through.

On the subject of The Hub, I haven't seen any forward movement in a while.

Quote Originally Posted by HFAA Alum View Post
    My bad. I was recording some music when i read it and didn't read all the way through.
    No way what kind of music you record? I just started studying R&B and Jazz. I’m getting into production and going to MI.

R&B, Neosoul, Gospel, and Funk.

They have submitted their plans for design approval.

Looks like this may be starting soon.

I like it. Maybe I'm easy to please. But this will add a lot of residents to Automobile Alley and downtown in general.

Wow! I live half a block away from this, will be neat to see it go up.

Yes another large-scale, mixed-use development for OKC.

Another should happen soon right across the street at the old Dolese property.

It's a nice big development, but I wish they had done something different architecturally on one side so the historic building doesn't feel like it's being enveloped by the giant modern building all around it. Even just different colors on the east side would have broken it up a bit. It's just a bit too much of a "superblock". Either way though, huge development and great for boosting the vitality of the area.

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    Yes another large-scale, mixed-use development for OKC.

Another should happen soon right across the street at the old Dolese property.
    the HH Nimby's will come out against this one ... (this 100's should be built)

Quote Originally Posted by BoulderSooner View Post
    the HH Nimby's will come out against this one ... (this 100's should be built)
    If so, they won't have much of a case. Surrounded on all 4 sides by commercial:

i know it was a long long time ago but they came out in force against the edge ...

and that was south of 13th with commercial on all 4 sides ..

i don't expect them to succeed ... but they could delay

Thread Information