Widgets Magazine

Thread: Population Growth for OKC

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Re: Population Growth for OKC

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan View Post
    The census covers this pretty thoroughly. The narratives we see on SM isn’t at all true. Mostly a lot of outflow to Texas and inflow to Texas followed by Arkansas. We sure could use some forward thinking Californians like FB says we’re getting. But the census debunks that myth
    It would be in the best interest of both Oklahoma City and Tulsa metros for Payne County to grow faster in population. And it seems to be doing so. A poster from Payne County in Cushing on a different message board commented that lots of people are moving from California to his town. Some work in the oil sector which pays pretty well. Others you can tell were barely getting by in California and now work at fast food or dollar stores there. He says in Cushing and nearby towns you can rent a crappy house for $400 a month and get $10 an hour at a dollar store. Or $15 at Walmart. Or $19 at a graveyard shift at the local dairy. So, from a couple working in Cushing, they can survive probably better than when they were in California. According to him, there are lots of jobs in the Cushing area. And lots of cheap houses if you don't mind working on them. The more people moving to Payne County, which includes, Stillwater, the more it will help the economy of OKC and Tulsa.

Default Re: Population Growth for OKC

Quote Originally Posted by Bunty View Post
    It would be in the best interest of both Oklahoma City and Tulsa metros for Payne County to grow faster in population. And it seems to be doing so. A poster from Payne County in Cushing on a different message board commented that lots of people are moving from California to his town. Some work in the oil sector which pays pretty well. Others you can tell were barely getting by in California and now work at fast food or dollar stores there. He says in Cushing and nearby towns you can rent a crappy house for $400 a month and get $10 an hour at a dollar store. Or $15 at Walmart. Or $19 at a graveyard shift at the local dairy. So, from a couple working in Cushing, they can survive probably better than when they were in California. According to him, there are lots of jobs in the Cushing area. And lots of cheap houses if you don't mind working on them. The more people moving to Payne County, which includes, Stillwater, the more it will help the economy of OKC and Tulsa.

I don't doubt your overall premise or your love for Payne County. And although I grew up as a Sooner fan, I recognize the immense and beneficial economic engine that is OSU. But the person you quote is proving the point that others have made. A crappy house for $400 a month and $10/hour, or $15/hour or even $19/hour in fast food and graveyard shifts? I mean, yes, you can eke out a life on that. I suppose. But is that really the economic model that we really want for our state? The folks in Payne County ought to be more interested in the spinoff startups coming out of the university, of which I am sure there are some.

Thread Information