Widgets Magazine

Thread: Pedestrian Bridge planned accross Northwest Expressway & Wilshire Boulevard

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Re: Pedestrian Bridge planned accross Northwest Expressway & Wilshire Boulevard

Quote Originally Posted by Plutonic Panda View Post
    Okay so at grade crossings are safer than grade separated ones. Hmmmm, or maybe these “professional opinions” just don’t like the fact it also does allow automobile traffic to benefit as well so more of the same “cars bad” type crap.

Not an opinion did you not read the articles backed up with facts?

https://www.itdp.org/2019/10/01/pede...building-them/

https://usa.streetsblog.org/2018/03/...g-and-transit/

Default Re: Pedestrian Bridge planned accross Northwest Expressway & Wilshire Boulevard

Quote Originally Posted by shartel_ave View Post
    Streetsblog, what a source

the bridge collapse was a failure of street design and transportation planning by Miami Dade County and Florida DOT.
    lol no it was a result of an engineering flaw from the same firm that had contracts with Texas to build two massive bridges and are now removed and the bridges are likely going to have to be demoed and started from scratch. You used a very rare and isolated event.

So let’s look at how many pedestrians die from crossing at grade versus a dedicated bridge to separate them from automobile and other traffic. Let’s look at those facts. Are we really trying to make the argument that if Las Vegas removed all of its pedestrian bridges and converted them back to at grade crossings it would be safer? Because that’s the argument you and the others here against the NWE bike/ped bridge are making.

Grade separated crossings are safer every singe time. It isn’t an opinion. Reduction in conflict points is the number one key to reducing accidents.

I mean here is article after article about how grade separation is safer:

https://policy.tti.tamu.edu/strategy/grade-separation/

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grade_separation

https://sanjosespotlight.com/philbri...s-people-safe/

It’s amazing to me we even have to have this discussion. Anti car publications like strongtowns, curbed, streetsblog, etc. repeat the same nonsense about induced demand so don’t widen freeways, cars don’t belong in cities because they make them unlivable, skyscrapers are bad because cities should be more human scale(which is a stupid POV), blah blah blah and of course anything like sky bridges or underground pedestrian corridors are bad because they contribute to a reduction in street activity. Yeah right, let’s make pedestrians suffer heat, cold, rain, snow, etc. just so we can them on the streets walking and feel better about the street being busy because that’s what most important.

And of course this grade separation will make crossing NWE safer for cyclists and pedestrians ten fold since they won’t need to rely on drivers following the law not running red lights or paying attention which many often don’t. But hey, since this will *also* benefit car drivers it must be bad. Give me a break.

Quote Originally Posted by Plutonic Panda View Post
    Streetsblog, what a source

lol no it was a result of an engineering flaw from the same firm that had contracts with Texas to build two massive bridges and are now removed and the bridges are likely going to have to be demoed and started from scratch. You used a very rare and isolated event.

So let’s look at how many pedestrians die from crossing at grade versus a dedicated bridge to separate them from automobile and other traffic. Let’s look at those facts. Are we really trying to make the argument that if Las Vegas removed all of its pedestrian bridges and converted them back to at grade crossings it would be safer? Because that’s the argument you and the others here against the NWE bike/ped bridge are making.

Grade separated crossings are safer every singe time. It isn’t an opinion. Reduction in conflict points is the number one key to reducing accidents.

I mean here is article after article about how grade separation is safer:

https://policy.tti.tamu.edu/strategy/grade-separation/

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grade_separation

https://sanjosespotlight.com/philbri...s-people-safe/

It’s amazing to me we even have to have this discussion. Anti car publications like strongtowns, curbed, streetsblog, etc. repeat the same nonsense about induced demand so don’t widen freeways, cars don’t belong in cities because they make them unlivable, skyscrapers are bad because cities should be more human scale(which is a stupid POV), blah blah blah and of course anything like sky bridges or underground pedestrian corridors are bad because they contribute to a reduction in street activity. Yeah right, let’s make pedestrians suffer heat, cold, rain, snow, etc. just so we can them on the streets walking and feel better about the street being busy because that’s what most important.

And of course this grade separation will make crossing NWE safer for cyclists and pedestrians ten fold since they won’t need to rely on drivers following the law not running red lights or paying attention which many often don’t. But hey, since this will *also* benefit car drivers it must be bad. Give me a break.
    You act like the articles don’t show the stats concerning the subject

NW Expressway is not a highway

Using Las Vegas as an example is not the same

The strip is not bike path it is completely full of pedestrians all year around

And the stats show most people don’t use the pedestrian bridges

Using Las Vegas as an example is not the same

The strip is not bike path it is completely full of pedestrians all year around

And the stats show most people don’t use the pedestrian bridges
    Okay you’re trying to move the goalpost. The topic is what is safer, grade crossing or grade separation. I told you the answer. You asked me to back it up. Not only did I do that, but I also gave you examples to think about like Las Vegas not to compare this bridge to it but factor in the safety of grade separations.

At this point we’re going in circles. The bridge is going to be built. These are very common in other cities and it’s nice to see OKC get on the ball with it. I’ve made my points and have nothing further to say at this time.

It literally is though. NW Expressway is Oklahoma State Highway 3.

Thread Information