Widgets Magazine

Thread: OG&E Smarthours

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Re: OG&E Smarthours

Quote Originally Posted by king183 View Post
    If you put solar on your house and OGE is your electric provider, you have to use Time of Use, fyi. If you produce enough energy to power you're entire time, it won't make a difference whether you're on TOU or standard rates because you'll have the minimum bill either way. My understanding is most people with solar do not produce enough electricity in July and August, but their bills are still very low, even with TOU. I'm anxious to get my solar installed ASAP with this heat.
    I think the corporate commission should step in and force OGE to allow free and open use of private solar panels without penalizing customers for generating their own power. It seems very backwards to me that I can't simply go and buy my own panels, generate my own power, and then have OGE gripe that I am not using their power.

Quote Originally Posted by PaddyShack View Post
    I think the corporate commission should step in and force OGE to allow free and open use of private solar panels without penalizing customers for generating their own power. It seems very backwards to me that I can't simply go and buy my own panels, generate my own power, and then have OGE gripe that I am not using their power.
    I believe OGE makes a legitimate argument that even those who are getting 100% of their electricity from solar panels still utilize OGE's infrastructure and should pay a minimum fee to account for the use and maintenance of that infrastructure. I would be concerned, however, if they continue to increase that access cost in lieu of increasing energy costs to account for increases in energy prices.

They also allow solar users to bank their excessive energy use for 24 months, which I believe is rare amount electric utilities.

Quote Originally Posted by king183 View Post
    I believe OGE makes a legitimate argument that even those who are getting 100% of their electricity from solar panels still utilize OGE's infrastructure and should pay a minimum fee to account for the use and maintenance of that infrastructure. I would be concerned, however, if they continue to increase that access cost in lieu of increasing energy costs to account for increases in energy prices.

They also allow solar users to bank their excessive energy use for 24 months, which I believe is rare amount electric utilities.
    That's right. As someone who is actively in the process of installing solar, I think it is totally fair to still charge grid-tied solar users a "grid/infrastructure" fee, which has in fact been argued to be more equitable than states that allow net metering customers to completely get rid of their electric bill despite utilizing the grid's infrastructure. In that case the (generally) more affluent customers who can afford to install solar panels are being subsidized by (generally) lower-income customers who have to pay for the grid themselves. I do agree it would be unfair to increase that fee beyond what regular OG&E customers are paying, which I don't think is what is currently happening. It is possible to go totally off the grid and ditch OG&E, but those systems are expensive and risky (i.e., if you don't produce enough power, oh well and good luck to you) and there's a reason most people don't do it.

So far, I haven't actually had any issue with OG&E's practices when it comes to solar (and believe me, I am not fan of my experience with OG&E more generally). The bigger issue compared to other states is the complete lack of incentives from the state legislature and things like Solar Renewable Energy Certifices (SERCs). But from what I can gather OG&E's practices are largely in line with the practices of other states.

4. Default Re: OG&E Smarthours

Quote Originally Posted by PaddyShack View Post
    Does OG&E charge if you build a house with solar and no meter set and connection to OG&E at all? I don't know the answer but I would think no. I do know of a couple barn type buildings on lots in OG&E's service area that have no power at all and I know the owners of those don't pay OG&E anything. But if you're going to connect to OG&E for backup or to sell excess to them than yes you should have to pay a minimum to cover line maintenance.

Thread Information