Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
In 19 years, I've had one full brake job on my Lexus and pads two other times. Can't imagine it being much less frequent on an electric car.

At this point in time, the tax credits generally do not offset the price premium. And as I've said twice, the depreciation on electric cars is monumental and you have to factor that into ownership cost. And complete battery replacement down the line would be far more costly than any type of ICE service or repair.

In terms of products, I am very much an innovator. I had a laserdisc player before anyone I know; same with a plasma TV and lasic surgery.

But besides your home, a car is the most expensive purchase you'll ever make and thus getting too far out in front of rapidly-changing technology can be very costly.

By being smart about my car purchases (and taking great care of them) among other things, I was able to effectively retire in my early 50's. I'm not going to invest in the most rapidly depreciating asset known to man until I'm sure I'll want to keep it for at least 10 years. And IMO and in my situation, we are not there yet.
Very sage.