Widgets Magazine

Thread: Nonesuch

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Re: Nonesuch

Quote Originally Posted by catcherinthewry View Post
    I ate at Nonesuch last fall. It was one of the most amazing dining experiences of my life. The service was fantastic and I loved how they explained each course. The food, on the other hand, was definitely underwhelming. Of the nine course there were maybe two or three that I enjoyed. Some in my party enjoyed most or all of the courses and others were like me. Does this mean I have bad taste in food? No, it just means I have different tastes in food. I learned long ago that if someone doesn't share my tastes in food, music, movies etc. that doesn't mean I have good taste and they have bad. It just means that we have different tastes. And no, I didn't eat at a Taco Bell on the way home. I haven't eaten there in 25 years, but I'm not going to look down on anyone who enjoys it.
    I think your comment here kind of underlines the difference in the intent of the food served at a place like nonesuch versus the food served at more traditional sit down restaurants or fast food. Nonesuch, I think, is aiming more for complexity and being interesting over serving something that would traditional be considered delicious by everyone. The couple of times I've gone, my experience was similar to yours in the sense that probably only a few of the dishes that I was served were things that I'd probably want to specifically eat again. But I also wouldn't call the food underwhelming because even if I didn't love an individual dish the experience of trying something new and examining the complexities of different flavors and different combinations of flavors is fun and interesting and also pretty novel (at least for us).

And please understand I'm not criticizing anyone who might not enjoy that experience or who finds nonesuch's food underwhelming or unsatisfying. I think its just a mindset thing and one is either into it or not and its not a positive or negative on that person either way.

2. Default Re: Nonesuch

Quote Originally Posted by Ginkasa View Post
    But I also wouldn't call the food underwhelming because even if I didn't love an individual dish the experience of trying something new and examining the complexities of different flavors and different combinations of flavors is fun and interesting and also pretty novel (at least for us).
    And that's why I said the experience was amazing. But at the end of the day I want to eat something that is delicious rather than interesting.

3. Default Re: Nonesuch

Quote Originally Posted by catcherinthewry View Post
    And that's why I said the experience was amazing. But at the end of the day I want to eat something that is delicious rather than interesting.
    But your reaction is reasonable and respectable.... The reaction of the review about Taco Bell was just someone trying to diminish the reputation of a restaurant.

Thread Information