Widgets Magazine

Thread: Eight Twenty Solar

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Re: Eight Twenty Solar

Midtowner, how are you still liking your panels over the winter? I'm considering adding some to my house and I keep hearing good things about EightTwenty.

Default Re: Eight Twenty Solar

Quote Originally Posted by king183 View Post
    Midtowner, how are you still liking your panels over the winter? I'm considering adding some to my house and I keep hearing good things about EightTwenty.
    They've worked out famously. If nothing else, I'm a lot more aware of which appliances use what. In this overcast weather we're having, it doesn't produce much. It does have a cool feature in that it automatically switched to battery full backup mode the day before the storms hit, so I've had a 10kW battery on standby were power to be interrupted. The way things have gone in this storm, I hear most outages are 3-4 hours and we wouldn't have noticed had we had an outage, aside from a push notification telling me I'm off the grid, if that was the case.

When it's sunny this winter, I've sent about 15-30kW more than I've used back to the grid. OG&E is taking their time getting the net metering installed, so that's just free electricity to OG&E right now. On a day like today with everyone home and running all of the things with very little sun, I'm probably going to import ~40-50kW. And had I the net meter installed, I would just be drawing against power I exported a few days ago.

So there's a transition, but I do look forward to having it fully operational. I also look forward to dumping my ICE car for an EV in a few months, and not having to pay for gas anymore. One less thing.

Thread Information