Quote Originally Posted by dankrutka View Post
I just couldn't disagree more with everyone's take here. Williams is more talented than the QBs OU is bringing in and OU will be worse for it. Moreover, I have absolutly no problem with Williams leaving. He committed to Riley, who was considered an offensive genius and quarterback whisperer by every OU fan until the day he left. I trust Williams is making the best decision for himself and I'm not going to throw him under the bus for it. Moreover, he's taking one of the top freshman wide receivers in the country with him in Mario Williams. Another big loss.
Man you’re just becoming the board contrary lol.

Mario Williams was underutilized and only had 300 yards receiving last year. It’s a loss but not an insurmountable one. Hazelwood was probably the bigger loss but Mimms, Stoops and Willis are returning. We get Wease back from injury who was tied for number 1 in receptions with Mimms in 2020. Farooq has indicated that he’s returning and appears to be ready to take a leap based on the bowl game. West and Darby both played well when they were on the field. We’re targeting several portal guys including a committed TE from Mizzou and have Gibson and Rodney Anderson’s brother who are both 4 star 2022 guys that are already on campus and may be able to contribute this season.

CW is more talented than Dillon Gabriel with a higher ceiling but DG is very capable 3 year veteran in Lebby’s system that will not have the learning curve that CW would’ve. The QB having a firm grasp of the offense is pretty important when everyone else around him is also trying to learn it. And it’s not like he’s been a slouch QB, the guy has thrown for 8000 yards in 2.25 seasons…we’ve brought in other transfer QBs with far less experience/success who have won a national championship, big 12 championships and finished 1 or 2 in the hiesman voting. Fundamentally, at this moment, he is the better QB, is the more accurate passer (especially the deep ball), makes better reads, passes better in the pocket and does a better job of finding open guys in the flow of the offense. He will be the better QB in game one of the season and likely even would be with CW on the team…even though I don’t think he would start over CW in that case. At the end of both their college careers CW will be the better QB, but as we saw Monday (and with Baker Mayfield to a lesser extent) we don’t need a 5 star QB to win a national championship or just generally have a solid offense. Would rather CW stay on the roster but if he does end up leaving, we will be okay.

We also may be bringing in Jaxon Dart from USC who, while not as talented as CW, was a highly rated QB in the same class that was very good despite having a terrible supporting cast when he was thrown into the fire last year at USC.