Widgets Magazine

Thread: OKANA Resort & Indoor Waterpark

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Re: OKANA Resort & Indoor Waterpark

Quote Originally Posted by ourulz2000 View Post
    I don't know, but its the type of attraction to bring in people from California, Michigan, Illinois, Ohio, etc.
    The international interest in Native American culture shouldn't be underestimated, either. Outside of the Americas, Native American and Cowboy culture are unique draws to this part of the country. Many see it as the "real" American story. So, it is nice to have that story presented in a beautiful facility in an authentic manner, curated and told by Native Americans.

Quote Originally Posted by BDP View Post
    The international interest in Native American culture shouldn't be underestimated, either. Outside of the Americas, Native American and Cowboy culture are unique draws to this part of the country. Many see it as the "real" American story. So, it is nice to have that story presented in a beautiful facility in an authentic manner, curated and told by Native Americans.
    That "curated" part was a nice surprise to us - when Discover Oklahoma did a segment on it and spoke to the curator (I think that was actually just part of their title, not their whole title), they said that pretty much the whole team that works on and curates the exhibits are Native Americans.

Quote Originally Posted by BDP View Post
    I agree. I believe the state tourism department made a huge blunder when it moved away from the “ Native America” theme. Absolutely nothing they’ve done since then has been memorable. “Discover Oklahoma” is just a generic throw-away line that any state could say. Nothing original or Oklahoma about it.

Quote Originally Posted by theanvil View Post
    I agree. I believe the state tourism department made a huge blunder when it moved away from the “ Native America” theme. Absolutely nothing they’ve done since then has been memorable. “Discover Oklahoma” is just a generic throw-away line that any state could say. Nothing original or Oklahoma about it.
    I miss Native America too. That heritage is a defining characteristic of the state.

Thread Information