Widgets Magazine

Thread: Oklahoma Turnpike Authority

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Oklahoma Turnpike Authority

Quote Originally Posted by MagzOK View Post
    OTA has their financial reports, budgets, average daily traffic, bondholders report, and other information available on their website. You can also attend their public meetings.
    Nah. That's too hard to actually read and digest it. Let's just stay with our faux outrage. LOL

2. Default Re: Oklahoma Turnpike Authority

Quote Originally Posted by Rover View Post
    Nah. That's too hard to actually read and digest it. Let's just stay with our faux outrage. LOL
    People don't attend meetings, at least generally speaking. Good or bad, that's just how it is.

I'll admit that I didn't know that the report was there, so thank you for pointing it out MagzOK. Maybe we could spread the word on that to more people that have these feelings (there are plenty on this thread alone). You do, however, need to know financial tables to make sense of the multiple break outs they have of the same data. So I'd say for an average Joe, it doesn't tell them what they are looking for in a way they understand. How much did you take in? How much did you spend? What's the delta?
    https://oklahoma.gov/content/dam/ok/...nualReport.pdf

Now, that report does seem to go along with my previous question though. If they are spending 32m a year on toll operations, how does that break out in terms of toll salaries and the back-office staff that support them? If you remove toll operators, then you'll reduce HR/Accounting/Payroll/Electrical Utility (ac/heater in the booths and break rooms/etc)/Maintenance/etc staff that are needed to keep that team going (unless you only have 1 in each role already). Of course, at first we won't have 32M to spend because they aren't converting everything at once, but I still question the logic on raising the tolls so much for the non pike-passers to cover the tagless deployment. That also tells you how many people use the roads and are not pike pass holders. That was me until this week, driven by them making that decision. I rarely use the turnpikes, but it's worth it to not pay over like that. There's an ROI there for even regular drivers with that new plan. If more people make the decision I did, are we looking at a request to raise the toll for everyone?

And to the point made by others about the rate, you are comparing apples to oranges if you're looking at North Texas Toll. Most of the NTA roads are express lanes for commuters in an extremely congested urban area. Most of Oklahoma turnpikes are in very rural areas, connecting the cities. The Creek and Kilpatrick are an exception, but are still mostly in less populated areas. It's not as though they are running an express lane downtown. We don't need dynamic rates because we dont have the roads in the areas that warrant them.

Thread Information