Widgets Magazine

Thread: Paying college athletes

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Re: Paying college athletes

It's a tough subject. I think the California bill only allows for private endorsements from outside bodies--not for putting college athletes on the State's payroll. I don't think there'd be any problem with Title IX as private parties get to choose which student athletes they want to endorse.

OU will be well-positioned if this ever comes to pass as OU is a Jordan school, which is, I hear, the more sought after brand by the young'ns, so OU would be battling for recruits with Michigan, North Carolina, and Florida.

Quote Originally Posted by Midtowner View Post
    It's a tough subject. I think the California bill only allows for private endorsements from outside bodies--not for putting college athletes on the State's payroll. I don't think there'd be any problem with Title IX as private parties get to choose which student athletes they want to endorse.

OU will be well-positioned if this ever comes to pass as OU is a Jordan school, which is, I hear, the more sought after brand by the young'ns, so OU would be battling for recruits with Michigan, North Carolina, and Florida.
    What is a Jordan school?

Quote Originally Posted by Ward View Post
    What is a Jordan school?
    Jordan Brand provides all the jerseys and sports attire for OU (athletes and to sell in the bookstore, campus corner, etc).

Quote Originally Posted by Ward View Post
    What is a Jordan school?
    It is an elite department within Nike developed for the great Michael Jordan, which is best identified by the “Jumpman” logo. The Nike Schools get the Nike logo, whereas the Jordan schools get Jumpman.

This is a key advantage for OU as the young influencers are obsessed with the Logo, line up for hours to buy Jordans, etc.

If a top recruit is faced with the option of (a) accept $100k to attend a Nike school or (b) accept $100k to attend a Jordan school, she will attend the Jordan school almost every time. The Logo is that important to these kids.

Thread Information