Widgets Magazine
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Brookside Golf Course (89th and S. Shields)

1. Default Re: Brookside Golf Course (89th and S. Shields)

Quote Originally Posted by MikeLucky View Post
    Sad to see another Perry Maxwell course go away. It's like shredding French impressionist paintings so you can replace them with LED video boards. Although, Brookside was far from a great track, but still.... lol
    Only Brookside was designed by Duffy Martin.

Default Re: Brookside Golf Course (89th and S. Shields)

Quote Originally Posted by Roger S View Post
    Only Brookside was designed by Duffy Martin.
    I've seen both mentioned, but Perry Maxwell is most definitely credited with building Brookside in 1934.

https://newsok.com/article/3485526/p...-oklahoma-city

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Perry_Maxwell

3. Default Re: Brookside Golf Course (89th and S. Shields)

Makes me wonder if it closed and was redesigned at one point... Depending on which webpage you are looking at I've seen the course credited to two different architects in multiple years.... Martin is credited in 52 & 56.

I'll agree that some of the greens at Brookside were consistent with how Maxwell designed greens... Specifically the 5th and 8th holes.

At the same time the lack of sand traps and wide fairways lends more to Martin's style of keeping golf fun for the average player and spending less time hunting for balls out of play.

To be fair, most of Maxwell’s courses, as originally designed, were very wide open with minimal trees and OOB, although his bunkering style did vary widely over the course of his career (some of the original bunkers at Twin Hills were gnaaaaarrrly). Sadly, most Maxwell courses (as is the case for many of the great golden age architects) have been substantially neutered, narrowed, andand become overrun with trees over the years, making them much more difficult for the average golfer than were originally intended.

5. Default Re: Brookside Golf Course (89th and S. Shields)

Brookside was the Stage Center of golf courses. No great loss.

I didn't know there was such a thing as a golf nerd.

Quote Originally Posted by Roger S View Post
    Makes me wonder if it closed and was redesigned at one point... Depending on which webpage you are looking at I've seen the course credited to two different architects in multiple years.... Martin is credited in 52 & 56.

I'll agree that some of the greens at Brookside were consistent with how Maxwell designed greens... Specifically the 5th and 8th holes.

At the same time the lack of sand traps and wide fairways lends more to Martin's style of keeping golf fun for the average player and spending less time hunting for balls out of play.
    You're probably right on the timeline. I like Duffy and even really enjoy his Guthrie courses, but if someone let him redesign a Maxwell track then that's when the mistake was made, not now. Lol.

Too bad! Played many rounds here in the past. Great place to go hack around for a few hours, work on the irons, and not have to deal with sand traps. Don't golf as much anymore but this was a neat little option to have.

Thread Information