Widgets Magazine

Thread: University of Oklahoma Sports

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Re: University of Oklahoma

Quote Originally Posted by soonermike81 View Post
    I'll take a step back and agree with you. That game shouldn't be on Seibert but I will say that his game was very inconsistent with some pretty crappy punts to set UGA up with great field position. But then again, I never said our offense and kicker are the reasons why we lost the game. I am trying to put the blame on the entire team as opposed to all the "fans" slamming Stoops and saying he is the sole reason why we lost. I'm willing to bet that I have as much an understanding of the game as you do, even though you "were there!" Because being present at the game gives you more perspective than the rest of the people watching on tv?? Actually no, it doesn't. In fact, it probably gives you much less perspective of what happened being that you don't see all the replays and all the angles. But if it makes you feel that much more of an OU fan to say that you were there, then cool, just say that.

I never got on here and said that this was a bad decision and that Mike should keep his job. It pains me that he's fallin off this much, but I will agree that this is probably the best move for the program. I'm calling out all the people that are non-stop talking trash on Mike because it's easy to do behind the keyboard. Same thing happened with Venables back then, but now, he's the greatest coordinator to ever live and we "should've kept him." A couple of bad years and everyone was calling for his head. Then it was time for Bob to go, but no one will admit to it today. The guy might not coach again and probably was best that we part ways, but he's still a human being and doesn't deserve to get ripped like he did something malicious to the fanbase. Yet, "fans" sh%t on him like they have some true vested interest in the school. Tired of hearing it.
    I actually said the same thing about Venables and Stoops a few pages back. But that was before the last two weeks of complete confusion on defense. I have been a Stoops (both) apologist for a long time, but Texas was the last straw for me. A change has been needed for awhile and i don’t see anyway he could’ve survived a performance like that in such a big game.

i agree that you probably get a better perspective by watching it on TV than in person, which is why I DVR’d the Rose Bowl and watched it after getting home. That didn’t change my opinion at all. Could we been more aggressive in the second half, sure but we still scored 40 on offense which would make even a modest defensive performance enough to win. We gave up 54 points to an offense that had to beat us on the ground...and allowed it to happen in dramatically bad fashion. Bad field position doesn’t excuse touchdown runs of 75, 50, 38, and 27 yards in which the RB went almost or completely untouched. Stop or at minimum slow down any of those rushes/drives (all of which took under 2:35 and three were 1 or 2 play drives) and it’s a different ball game. They had to score quick on the ground to win and our poor tackling allowed that to happen, not field position or conservative offense....poor tackling and defensive scheme.

Default Re: University of Oklahoma

Quote Originally Posted by PhiAlpha View Post
    I actually said the same thing about Venables and Stoops a few pages back. But that was before the last two weeks of complete confusion on defense. I have been a Stoops (both) apologist for a long time, but Texas was the last straw for me. A change has been needed for awhile and i don’t see anyway he could’ve survived a performance like that in such a big game.

i agree that you probably get a better perspective by watching it on TV than in person, which is why I DVR’d the Rose Bowl and watched it after getting home. That didn’t change my opinion at all. Could we been more aggressive in the second half, sure but we still scored 40 on offense which would make even a modest defensive performance enough to win. We gave up 54 points to an offense that had to beat us on the ground...and allowed it to happen in dramatically bad fashion.
    Man, I'm just being a bitter old man. I'll stop with the arguing.

Thread Information