Widgets Magazine
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: The Patriarch

Default Re: The Patriarch

That actually looks really cool.

I went last weekend. It was right after it rained so a lot of people stayed inside.

I would recommend going when it is nice outside for the fact that inside is pretty small. Upstairs has a capacity of around 25 or so, and downstairs probably 35-40 max. All the beers were good, but I think the bartenders could use some practice on proper poors. Granted, it was a soft opening so I'm sure they will have all the figured out soon.

If I spent much time in Edmond, I would definitely go back.

Hopefully get to check it out this week as part of craft beer week and their Roughtail brewing event. I don't like to hear how small it is on the inside, that'll certainly curb them staying too busy with repeat customers (speakeasy for example) despite having an awesome and extensive tap setup.

I was really hoping for a Dallas Gingerman feel to this place..

4. Default Re: The Patriarch

The Gingerman is the original inspiration for all places of this type in this part of the country, and still the standard by which they are measured. Scott Woolum, the original owner of TapWerks, freely admitted that his place was modeled specifically after The Gingerman.

Interesting!

The original Tapwerks or the current location? It's been so long I can barely remember the old location..

The Patriarch looks like the love child of Oak & Ore and Blue Garten.

I'll be sure to check it out when I'm in town in about a week, as I always stay with my friend in Edmond.

7. Default Re: The Patriarch

Quote Originally Posted by bille View Post
    Interesting!

The original Tapwerks or the current location? It's been so long I can barely remember the old location..
    Original TapWerks on Western in the old Pumps location. Though it was much smaller than Bricktown location OR Gingerman. The original TapWerks reminds me more of The Old Monk in Dallas, or actually the other way around since the OM is newer (and still exists). I think the Bricktown TapWerks more closely resembles Gingerman, but really the closest I have seen to that place in this area is the original McNellie's in Tulsa.

That backyard looks like a great spot. (and pet friendly, too!)

Quote Originally Posted by Urbanized View Post
    Original TapWerks on Western in the old Pumps location. Though it was much smaller than Bricktown location OR Gingerman. The original TapWerks reminds me more of The Old Monk in Dallas, or actually the other way around since the OM is newer (and still exists). I think the Bricktown TapWerks more closely resembles Gingerman, but really the closest I have seen to that place in this area is the original McNellie's in Tulsa.
    Right on, I can see that with the Old Monk (another favorite Dallas stop off ours) it certainly matches the tiny/janky bathroom setup the original Tapwerks had that's for sure!

Went tonight and had a blast. I would call it the love child or bleu garten, oak and ore and fassler hall. The outdoor seating is great and with the large benches it really reminded me of fassler but with the openness of bleu. The beers of course were great. When we got there(830) it was packed. Hardly a set anywhere and the line had a small wait(maybe 5 mins) but they have multiple locations to order and the owner was quick to greet us, talk beers and assure us the line would get moving(which he jumped right in and helped which I loved). I would say we left around 10:30 or 11 and it was still pretty full with tons of young professionals having a good time. I will definitely be back, They also had the food truck chicken n wangs and I don't know if it has been mentioned before but they have a small dog turn out which I think is great. The owner also told us that it has been so busy that are going to get open their small outdoor drink station ASAP.

I've always thought that something like this in one of the houses on the north side of 9th street would be cool.

From their FB page:

13. Default Re: The Patriarch

Other than differences in the building and no high privacy fence around the outdoor space it really does look a lot like The Gingerman.

Quote Originally Posted by hfry View Post
    Went tonight and had a blast. I would call it the love child or bleu garten, oak and ore and fassler hall. The outdoor seating is great and with the large benches it really reminded me of fassler but with the openness of bleu. The beers of course were great. When we got there(830) it was packed. Hardly a set anywhere and the line had a small wait(maybe 5 mins) but they have multiple locations to order and the owner was quick to greet us, talk beers and assure us the line would get moving(which he jumped right in and helped which I loved). I would say we left around 10:30 or 11 and it was still pretty full with tons of young professionals having a good time. I will definitely be back, They also had the food truck chicken n wangs and I don't know if it has been mentioned before but they have a small dog turn out which I think is great. The owner also told us that it has been so busy that are going to get open their small outdoor drink station ASAP.
    Glad they got their act together. I was there yesterday as well. Got there at 5:30 and gave up and left about 7:00. They were definitely having their "opening week" blues. 4 folks behind the bar, yet to VEEERRRRYYY slow moving lines. It too me about 20 minutes to get my first beer, when there were only about 5 folks in front of me, and when I tried to get my second, the line for the bar had backed out the front door. They were having a rough time on the registers, and with pours, and I'm not sure what the other folks behind the counter were doing (may training them). I didn't think much of it, since they've only been open two days. I'm just surprised they got so much faster later (or maybe different people got there).

I liked the place though. My only real complaint is the choke flow that is created if there is any sort of crowd near the bar. I'll definitely be back though, but I'm gonna wait a couple of weeks.

15. Default Re: The Patriarch

A review of our visit:
    Ween on the Scene: The Patriarch + New Fast-Casual Patios

(This is my blog about dog-friendly spots in the metro)

16. Default Re: The Patriarch

Went last night for the first time. Pleasantly surprised at the layout and how many people were there. Also liked their emphasis on local brewery's. Definitely something that Edmond has been needing for a while. I can't see this not being a success.

Quote Originally Posted by worthy cook View Post
    Went last night for the first time. Pleasantly surprised at the layout and how many people were there. Also liked their emphasis on local brewery's. Definitely something that Edmond has been needing for a while. I can't see this not being a success.
    Yeah, unfortunately (for me) too much so at times. The lines to buy beer are a bummer. But I really love being able to go upstairs and sit in one of the side rooms where it's a little quieter. I just wish my budget would support a place where every beer is $7-12 more often. I can only go once a week or so.

18. Default Re: The Patriarch

I will say that the lines were a bit long. However I attribute that to all the choices of local beer they have that a lot of people have never tried. I was guilty last night of probably taking too much time to chose, esp when they offer samples. But when people keep coming back and knowing what they want, I would assume it will go swifter

Quote Originally Posted by worthy cook View Post
    I will say that the lines were a bit long. However I attribute that to all the choices of local beer they have that a lot of people have never tried. I was guilty last night of probably taking too much time to chose, esp when they offer samples. But when people keep coming back and knowing what they want, I would assume it will go swifter
    Oh, I know it, and don't blame the patriarch folks at this point. I just want people to get out from between me and my beer.

And speaking of the Patriarch.. it's 5pm on Friday. Beer time for me!

Quote Originally Posted by jerrywall View Post
    And speaking of the Patriarch.. it's 5pm on Friday. Beer time for me!
    Best part of the week....

Quote Originally Posted by jerrywall View Post
    I just want people to get out from between me and my beer.
    Testify!

Looking forward to trying this place.

Craft beer house adds food in the backyard

By: Molly M. Fleming The Journal Record March 23, 2018

EDMOND – After moving to Edmond, chef Jonathon Stranger started frequenting The Patriarch craft beer house.

He would often ask general manager Brad Mullenix about the large building in the backyard. The building was previously home to eight beer taps that helped with overflow service when the main house was busy.

Mullenix didn’t have an immediate plan, but he was getting frustrated with the house’s food offering.

The Patriarch at 9 E. Edwards St. in Edmond allowed food trucks to park in the neighboring alley. There’s a calendar on the beer house’s website.

While it was fun to offer a rotating menu, sometimes there would be no food.

“Our No. 1 complaint for the last three years has been that there wasn’t a food truck, so people would leave early,” Mullenix said. “We have no control over if the food truck would be here or not. To get a truck here on a Tuesday or a Wednesday, I’d have to promise them a Friday or Saturday down the road. I couldn’t get anyone here on a Monday for the longest time.”

And when there was no food, people would leave to eat somewhere else or they wouldn’t drink as much, both situations that affected The Patriarch’s sales.

Mullenix doesn’t expect that to be a problem anymore. He’s partnered with Stranger, who is operating OK-Yaki in the backyard building at The Patriarch. The eatery serves yakitori-style meat, vegetables, and sandwiches.

All the food is cooked on a special grill, which Stranger had sent in from Japan. The restaurant is a continuation of Stranger’s professional goal to offer higher-end food at an attainable price. The most expensive item at OK-Yaki is $6.

“I was shocked to hear what it would cost to customers,” Mullenix said. “With the quality of ingredients and the food, it’s just unreal. There are not a lot of restaurants that come to mind that can offer this quality of food for the price.”

The price point fits in well with The Patriarch’s 56-tap beer menu. The house shares the same point-of-sale system with OK-Yaki, so people won’t have to get separate tabs. Customers can get a beer and two skewers, and spend less than $20.

“I think if the price was much higher, it wouldn’t work,” Mullenix said.

Stranger said the added benefit is he’ll need more produce from local farmers, so he can create a larger economic effect for them. He can also offer an affordable snack or dinner for his wife, Kristen, and her friends. She’s a speech pathologist in the Edmond School District. He’s served other friends and family members in The Patriarch backyard.

The grilled food fits well with the atmosphere, he said.

The Patriarch has been open for almost three years, and it’s exceeding the founders’ expectations. Mullenix started as a part-time general manager and left work in the oil and gas business to be full-time. He said the group is often getting requests to open another location.

“We’re looking,” he said. “We’re seriously looking. We’re actively shopping for real estate.”

Thread Information