Widgets Magazine
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Memorial Rd. Development

Patrick Guest

Default Re: Memorial Rd. Development

Quote Originally Posted by Sooner&RiceGrad
    San Antone's River Walk, I believe, is not quite an entertainment district. The River Walk is too unique, they have string of restraunts, but really that is all. They have tons of hotels, murals and statues (we are just now getting our memorials) and even more, the River Walk goes through downtown San Antone, and the bricktown canal does not.
    What do we have that the San Antonio Riverwalk does not have?

Patrick Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Floating_adrift
    What defines an entertainment district? Seems like something like Six Flags would be larger - it's hard to imagine that OKC has the largest Entertainment district. New Orleans is pretty good sized, and entertaining

I agree Floating_adrift! The real "Bourbon Street" is quite an entertainment district. Although Bricktown is coming along, I really don't think it compares to Bourbon Street, yet!

Sooner&RiceGrad Guest

Offices, hotels, you name it. Business besides entertainment.

Floating_adrift Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick
    Oh, I was just exaggerating when I said I hope PF Changs fails. I'm just a little upset that they commented that downtown wasn't "upscale" enough. It isn't like Memorial and Penn is anymore upscale.....in fact, probably less so. The restaurants and stores on Memorial aren't upscale.

I am for the bettering of OKC, but at the same time, I don't necessarily think creating a traffic nightmare at one intersection due to poor planning is my idea of bettering OKC. Also, the development on Memorial Rd. isn't unique...it's just your run of the mill suburban development.

Just my $0.02.

I will be honest though....I do favor downtown and inner city development, so when I see urban sprawl taking away from the bettering of our downtown area, it's concerning to me. Memorial Rd. did hurt downtown in regards to PF Changs......downtown was second on their list after Memorial Rd.
    I think Bricktown could still support a PF Changs quite easily, even with the one on Memorial. What Bricktown could use to really pump up some interest is a Cheesecake Factory or maybe a Houston's.

Sooner&RiceGrad Guest

I say a Cheesecake Factory is a great idea. The River Walk already has one.

Quote Originally Posted by metro
    Midtowner, you are thinking about Deep Ellum and yes parking can easily cost $20 dollars in that club/bar area and the waits are ridiculous and most of the clubs arent much better
    I don't remember the name of the area. It wasn't Deep Ellum though. It was about 4 miles away from downtown. It looked like a much larger version of Campus Corner with far better venues.

I wasn't driving that night, I don't know Dallas very well (except for the downtown area), and I was the designated drinker. My recollection of driving direction is a bit fuzzy. Could have easily been west of downtown, but not north or south.

Sooner&RiceGrad Guest

West End?

Patrick Guest

Offices, hotels, you name it. Business besides entertainment.
    And Bricktown doesn't have offices? The Sonic Building is a complete office building. Hammons is building a 10 story Embassy Suites on the canal. Most of the older warehouses on the north canal have offices on the upper floors, everything from architects to law firms. The Glass Building and Confectionary Building across from Spaghetti Warehouse is filled with offices. U-Haul is a self storage facility. Main Street behind Spaghetti Warehouse has several industrial businesses, Federal Corporation, Melton Labco Fairway, Wholesale Flooring, etc.
    General Pump Manufacturers and Fred Jones Body Shop are also in Bricktown.

West End?
    Nah, it was about 4 miles away from downtown.

West End is pathetic.

Patrick Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Floating_adrift
    I think Bricktown could still support a PF Changs quite easily, even with the one on Memorial. What Bricktown could use to really pump up some interest is a Cheesecake Factory or maybe a Houston's.
    floating_adrift....I think I see your point. metro tried to point this out to me as well. We really don't want to see Memorial Rd. style developments in downtown, with maybe an exception being PF Changs. If Chang's Memorial Rd. restaurant is successful, they may consider Bricktown for a second site. We really need to focus on unique upscale establishments for Bricktown. I realize IHOP is locating in Bricktown, but we really need to limit those types of restaurants.

Patrick Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Midtowner
    Nah, it was about 4 miles away from downtown.

West End is pathetic.
    LOL! I second that remark!

Sooner&RiceGrad Guest

Patrick: Bricktown is Bricktown. It is seperate from Downtown. The River Walk is not seperate from downtown San Antone. I think d'town OKC is better than San Antone, but still, if we extended the canal, maybe we would beat out the River Walk on this issue as well, but so far, this is just entertainment. The housing is actually in another district called Deep Deuce, and the only hotel in Bricktown is just under constuction.

Patrick Guest

I see your point Nick!

In the near future expect to see more residential housing and hotels in Bricktown. The Steel Yard development at the old WH Steel Yard should be a pretty substantial residential development for the Bricktown area. Once we get a more stable residential population downtown, things like retail will follow.

Hopefully someday our downtown area will be somewhat like San Antonio's with more store fronts and restaurants.

There is one problem I have with San Antonio's Riverwalk...it seems to be geared more for just the tourist. I think establishing residential housing in Bricktown will help overcome that problem here.

Sooner&RiceGrad Guest

Bricktown is certainly not geared for tourists, it is a draw to our city, but unlike flaky tourist cities, OKC has a population that can actually support most of what is planned.

Will they ever build a residential skyscraper though? Well, someday I am sure, but I mean in 25 years.

Patrick Guest

Will they ever build a residential skyscraper though? Well, someday I am sure, but I mean in 25 years.
    Actually, one may be in the works for the plot of land between Reno and the Harkins Theater on the west side of the canal. It probably won't be 25 stories though.....maybe as many as 10! We'll have to wait and see....negotiations are ongoing.

Cheesecake Factory would be great. Or better yet, Cheesecake Factory's upscale restaurant called Grand Lux Cafˇ. Their beautiful interiors and amazing menu would be a great fit for Bricktown. Maybe where Lotus used to be?

Whatever goes there needs to be unique.

Sooner&RiceGrad Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick
    Actually, one may be in the works for the plot of land between Reno and the Harkins Theater on the west side of the canal. It probably won't be 25 stories though.....maybe as many as 10! We'll have to wait and see....negotiations are ongoing.
    Who told you this?!?!?! That's amazing. I'll believe it if it comes from you, I'm just curious because I want to know more. Is it that Factory thing?

Patrick Guest

No, The Factory was actually planned to be developed over off Main Street behind Abuelos/Bricktown Brewery. Unfortunately, funding hasn't come together on that project, so it may or may not happen. If it does happen, it will probably be on a smaller scale than originally proposed.

The residential tower near the movie theater is just one of a few different proposals for Lower Bricktown. Randy Hogan, developer of Lower Bricktown, proposed it a few months ago. The residential tower would be a multi-story apartment complex, with some possiblities for ownership. Hogan has also tossed around the idea of possibly another hotel for the site. So nothing is set in stone yet.

Also, wasn't sure if you knew this Nick, but the open property near the Water taxi loading zone (east side of the canal) sold recently with the purchaser promising to build a hotel there. I haven't heard any more about the proposal though. Until I see dirt moving, it's not a done deal!

Sooner&RiceGrad Guest

Better, I heard of it a few days ago, but I saw it the last time I was at the State Mental Health Blah Blah, I decided to eat lunch at Bricktown. Yeah, I saw it.

Sooner Rice you should post less and read more of our past threads

Midtowner I am positive you are talking about Deep Ellum unless you were over by the hard rock on McKinney Avenue. I know you are not referring to West End. and those are the three districts in and around downtown. Deep Ellum has alot of residential and other stuff besides all the bars and clubs

stac8950h Guest

midtowner....i think your talking about lower greenville......upscale places in my opinion...hardly any parking and expensive when you find some.

Quote Originally Posted by stac8950h
    midtowner....i think your talking about lower greenville......upscale places in my opinion...hardly any parking and expensive when you find some.
    That's what it was.

I remember dressing up a little bit. Well, it was crowded to say the least. May have had something to do with the OU-TX game and the fact that West End is pathetic.

either way parking in Deep Ellum or Lower Greenville is still about $15-20 easy and crowded

Sooner&RiceGrad Guest

Uhh... yeah. Howabout back on topic (post less, read more)...

Patrick, I have got a question: Did Bob Stoops ever get build that Louis' On The Lake, or did the granola heads conquer him?

Thread Information