Widgets Magazine

Thread: Heartland Flyer's Future???

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
  1. Default Re: Heartland Flyer's Future???

I think it would be easier to extend to KS than TUL, as the track improvement would not be economical. The KS track is straight and is said to support high-speed, as does the TX track.

The Tulsa track was not well thought out, as it is too wine-dy (?). There is not even good freight track connecting OKC-Tul, I believe - which explains all the truck traffic.

Tulsa could be an expansion once the KS route (and additional improvements to TX and the OKC train station) are made. For now, we could implement AMTRAK Motorcoach from OKC-STL via Tulsa and Joplin. It could stop at Tulsa's train station and build revenue and momentum for that route. In fact, hopefully the motorcoach revenue would go specifically for the OKC-TUL train track improvements to implement the service, as hopefully the other options will sustain and improve the existing Heartland and expansion.

I agree BG, a Chicago - Oklahoma City Sooner Express route would be nice [hopefully in the future] but it may take a while for that and I think a Motorcoach could get that started!
    Oklahoma City, the RENAISSANCE CITY!

2. Post Re: Heartland Flyer's Future???

I received this reply from the mayor's office. It is nice to see them on the same page as we are!

Sent : Monday, August 16, 2004 9:17 AM
    To : HOT ROD
    Subject : RE: Heartland Flyer suggestions

Thank you for your recent email of August 7, 2004. I appreciate you taking the time to express your interest and concern in the Heartland Flyer.

Your comments regarding the need for expansion of this service are certainly well taken. I am pleased to learn that the Heartland Flyer is nearing completion of its fifth year in service. Being in the center of the United States, we are committed to transportation efforts through our city. Our railways, highways and airways are vital to our economic development and future growth.

Thanks for taking the time to write us.

Fran Cory for Mayor Mick Cornett

Executive Assistant

Oklahoma City, the RENAISSANCE CITY!

Thread Information