So.... I decided to look for a part-time job. I'm a full-time student at UCO and I didn't take summer classes this year, so I've got lots of time on my hands. On a whim, I decided to apply for a sales job at a (don't know if I should name the place) nationally known used car dealer with a location near Edmond.

Well, I went online a week ago and applied. The application process in itself was sort of painful. It took -- I don't know -- at least an hour, maybe an hour and a half. I entered all my information: SSN, work history, education, skills, etc, etc. I read their legal forms (i.e. the "we can fire you without cause form 'cause we're a big, evil corporation" form) and typed in my initials, blah, blah, blah. Then, I completed the longest part: the psychological quiz.

These quizzes, I have to say, are flat out stupid. (example question: Do you think of yourself as a hard worker? -- Answer 1. Strongly agree.... 5. Strongly disagree.) Okay, what moron would actually choose "strongly disagree" when applying for a job? Some of the other questions were downright weird. Anyway, that's not the main part of my rant.

The main part is about the interview, which was this morning. I show up on time and I'm all dressed up, tie and all. Clean shaven, new haircut, I did everything to look my best. This young lady, who had to be no more that 19, greets me at the door. She's apparently the one who's going to interview me, which is no big deal really, but it's kind of weird when you're like me and in your early thirties and you're being interviewed by someone who wore diapers when you were in high school. (Does that make any sense?) Anyhow, she points me to a cubicle with a computer where I apparently get to fill out even more quizzes and information. On top of that she hands me a stack of pages that I am to review and initial.

Page 1: Drug screening release form...
That's fine, I have no problem with taking a drug screening. And I understand them wanting to not hire crack addicts. Totally acceptable.

Page 2. References...
Sure, fine. Whatever. No problem.

Page 3. Authorization to perform a credit check...
What? Why do they need to check my credit? Now if I were applying to work at a bank or some other kind of financial services institution, I'd somewhat understand. But to work as a car salesman? Why? And I'll admit, my credit isn't perfect. There's a credit card on there that looks pretty ugly. And some student loans. I also had an issue with a broken apartment lease, but I paid it off (that's another rant entirely.) I initialed it, but I wasn't happy. I don't think employers or at least non-financial employers need to know an applicant's credit history. But this is why I'm getting a job, or one of the reasons, so that I can pay stuff off and have better credit!

(Oh, and on a side note, I was turned away from a job a few years back because of a bankruptcy... I got in over my head with credit cards when I was in the Navy, in my late teens/early twenties... but still, I was 29 when I applied. The jerks....)

Page 4. Motor vehicle information request...
Again, it's a car dealership, this is okay with me. It's probably a good idea they check my driving record. It would be bad if a dealership hired a sales guy with DUIs and a hit and run or two. This is a non-issue.

Page 5. Social Security earnings report...
This is a request for my detailed earnings from the past seven years. Why? I fail to see how what I earned at my job in 1999 has anything to do with the position I'm applying for in 2007 (oh, and it's all commission at that.) And on top of that, it's just really reeks of BIG BROTHER. It's creepy.

There was also a thing for a background check, which is fine. I'm not a felon or perv or terrorist or whatever...

I just got up and left the place. Plus I also realized I didn't want to survive on a commission-only basis.

Am I being irrational or are these big companies getting really out of hand with their application processes?