Quote Originally Posted by OKCRT View Post
I wonder how many sigs OKC has compared to Tulsa? And why does it rest in OKCs hands now? Did Tulsa stop taking sigs or something? I assume they are hot spots in Tulsa also and I would think they are getting as many if not more than OKC is.

The teachers association was taking sigs earlier in the year and a guy was at Oncue signing one after another. Wonder why the maryjane folks aren't doing that? I assume the teachers were at other places like Walmart parking lots and such as well.
The co-chairman of the group is from Tulsa, but has spent much time in recent weeks in OKC trying to get things better organized. Probably the most major thing that resulted was a truce with OKC police. Police will allow them to be camped at NW Expressway and N. Meridian 24 hours a day as long as they keep somebody at a table at all times taking signatures or registering people to vote. They're not getting paid, so there is some real hard core activism going on there.

Surely, the guy at Oncue was getting paid to take signatures along with the teachers for the penny sales tax for education. The deal was that if you netted so many signatures at $2 a signature, then you would get a raise to $5 a signature. Or was it $10 a signature for the top pay? If you get paid for such an easy job as taking signatures, it shouldn't be a surprise that plenty of people will come out of the woodwork to take advantage of it. It most certainly is easier and less sweaty work than mowing lawns. The med mj group doesn't seem to have the money to pay signature takers.

On the 16th, Saturday, they will put new emphasis on Tulsa for gathering more signatures. How much is done depends on how many volunteers are willing to come out that day. They finally began their Saturday road trips to some of the bigger small towns in Oklahoma. Their first stop was in Stillwater. In ten hours, they netted 265 signatures per petition and registered 65 new voters.

They estimate as of Saturday that they have 40,000 signatures. That's close to on track for 66,000 signatures, but not their goal of 86,000 to pad for thrown out signatures.

This effort, straight from the Oklahoma grass roots level, needs to succeed in getting on the ballot. If not, Oklahoma will have to wait for a corporate concern, likely from the mj industry, which has plenty of bucks to pay signature takers for a petition, which would inscribe in the Oklahoma State Constitution how the mj industry in Oklahoma is to be most profitably legalized and regulated. If Oklahoma voters would approve of such a proposition, is another matter to contend with.

Getting signatures on Saturday in Stillwater: