Quote Originally Posted by AP View Post
I mostly meant areas to check out. I will be there for work for a week and kinda want to explore after work. I'm definitely into beer bars and breweries so anything of that nature, although college crazy doesn't sound too bad either. I am staying at the DoubleTree downtown, so anything within walking distance to that would be great, although I don't mind driving.
Old Market is one that you can definitely walk to from the Double Tree, they also have a free shuttle I know. My favorites down there are Wilson & Washburn, Upstream Brewing Company, Brickway Brewery/Distillery, Ted & Wally's ice cream and Localmotive Food Truck. Harney Street Tavern has local music most nights. The Hive has live music too, but can get tough to get into, line out the door is fairly common. M's Pub, V. Mertz and The Boiler Room are the food headliners. These three I haven't been to yet, but they have great reputations just not my cup of tea. La Buvette wine bar, Havana Garage cigar lounge and The Berry & Rye is a craft cocktail lounge that is supposed to be as good as it gets. I guess they spent $15,000 on their "ice program" in order to have the best ice for their drinks. Kaneko/Bemis for the arts.

If you are willing to drive Benson is one I would make the trip for. It is the more "hip" urban neighborhood. It is 5 miles Northwest of the Double Tree, an old streetcar suburb that has nearly all of it's historic main street buildings still intact. It is more of the live music DIY art kind of scene. My go to night out spot. Krug Park has ~65 taps, Jake's is the neighborhood anchor type of bar, 1912 is new and has an amazing rooftop patio if it is nice out. Two breweries in the neighborhood, Infusion is a brewery that offers more a more unique selection, best brewery in the city IMO. Benson Brewery is a little more safe with their brews still really good, they also have an awesome food menu and their "Hop Box" patio can't be missed if the weather is right. There are about a dozen live music venues in the neighborhood so there is going to be something going on every night.

Blackstone District is the new urban renewal area that seems to have popped up overnight. On the east end of the district sits Beer Corner USA. The building houses a domestic craft beer bar, a German bier hall and a Belgian beer bar. Beertopia is a tiny little store next door and has one of the best craft beer selections anywhere. In this same strip there is Farnam House Brewing Company which focuses on European style beers with saisons being their specialty. Just a couple of blocks west is Scriptown Brewery, Mula Mexican Restaurant/Tequileria, Corkscrew Wine Bar and Nite Owl which has incredible food serving till 2AM along with a great collection of house cocktails.

EDIT: Order the free Omaha Craft Brewery Tour journal before you leave. It offers info on the breweries and you get a free beer at each place! Omaha Brewery Tour