Some of you may not be aware, but there is a municipal election today (March 6th) for the Oklahoma City Council seat being vacated by longtime representative Jerry Foshee.

Those running include, in no particular order,

* George Washington - incumbent, long-time head of the planning commission
* Brian Walters - South OKC resident and relative political newcomer
* Davd Miller - South OKC resident and businessman

If you live in Ward 5, GO VOTE!

Commentary:

Very little is known about Brian Walters. Washington has been part of Oklahoma City city politics for some time, while Miller is a businessman and longtime S. OKC resident. It would appear, given Foshee's recent "broadstrokes" against David Miller in recent city council meetings, that Washington is Foshee's would-be "designate" to succeed him in the seat.

Miller stirred up some controversy a few weeks ago by calling attention to the then little-known plans for a Super WalMart to be located in the heart of a residential area at SW 104th and May. Miller is hoping to gain written promises from the developer to protect the integrity of the area neighborhoods that would be impacted by the still-proposed WalMart.

I've met both Foshee and Miller (the former some years ago, the latter only recently), and I find Miller to be a thoroughly decent guy who really seems to have a non-politician's fervor. That's refreshing. I think Foshee represented Ward 5 generally well over the years, but I cannot say that Washington offers me much in the way of excitement that he is interested in *south OKC* issues. Unfortunately, I simply don't know enough about Brian Walters to say much one way or the other.

Personal endorsement (like anyone cares what I think, right?)

Based on my conversation with him, and interest in S. OKC issues, I think David Miller represents an excellent choice for Ward 5 voters. He is *very* interested in the development of SW OKC, and is especially interested in how the City is going to manage the retail evolution of this part of OKC as more than just another source of sales tax revenue.

-SoonerDave