OCU plans to offer women’s wrestling; updates Division I progress
By Stefanie Brickman - 2/13/2007

Oklahoma City University President Tom McDaniel announced today the school will be adding women’s wrestling to its list of competitive sports beginning in Fall 2007.

The private university will be among six other U.S. colleges offering women’s wrestling, said wrestling coach Archie Randall. Randall will coach both the men’s and women’s teams.

Last year, Oklahoma City University began a feasibility study toward joining the National Collegiate Athletic Association’s Division I.

“Our commitment toward excellence is one that we take very seriously,” McDaniel said. “As part of that march toward excellence that we all hold so dear here, today is another step in that direction.”

The privately hired consultants recommended OCU upgrade its current facilities as well as offer 14 varsity sports. In the last three years, the school has added rowing, women’s volleyball and men’s wrestling to bring its total to 11 that count toward Division I.

Athletic director Jim Abbott hopes the women’s wrestling program will follow a similar track to the rowing program. Four years ago, Abbott said, OCU did not own an oar. In the fall of 2006, the school hosted the second or third largest regatta in the U.S. with Star rowers competing alongside schools like Harvard.

“We can do anything we set our mind to at OCU,” Abbott said.

The consultants also told OCU administrators the athletic department would require between $4 and $5 million per year every year to compete.

In order to raise those funds, Abbott said, OCU plans to approach the City of Oklahoma City about including the school in a possible MAPS3 project.

“We don’t have a Boone Pickens,” Abbott said, referring to the Oklahoma State University graduate who has shared portions of his oil and gas fortune with his alma mater.

Without a large donation, the school could also establish a significant endowment to provide the revenue annually.

“There is no specific timetable,” Abbott said. “We are not rushing. However, there is not a lot of failing with (President) McDaniel.”