A really cool new urban shopping center will be built on the southeast corner of Campbell and Broadway!

EDMOND — Council members voted this week on a site plan for a 15,584-square-foot downtown shopping center on the southeast corner of Broadway and Campbell, despite problems with available parking in the downtown area referred to as the Central Business District.

This was the second time developer Saeed Zahrai tried to get a site plan for his two-story building approved by the council. The vote this time was 3-2. Mayor Charles Lamb and Councilwoman Elizabeth Waner voted against the project.

Council members recently approved a downtown master plan report that recommended city leaders address the lack of parking. City code requires one parking space per 400 feet of development.

“If we don’t change and do something differently, we are not going to grow,” Councilman Nick Massey said.

Lamb was apprehensive about approving the site plan without first having conversations about the parking issues.

“I don’t like going down the path and figuring out that it doesn’t work,” Lamb said. “It is a little premature to go case by case. It’s a challenge. I am not ready to do this right now.”

The first time the council turned down the project, called Plaza USA, it was about 21 parking spaces short.

- New downtown Edmond shopping center approved. | News OK
Here is another image I found although the design might be different now.

- 118 N Broadway, Edmond, OK, 73034 - Street Retail Property for Lease on LoopNet.com