Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
My own research yields the following:

University of Oklahoma total cost for in-state undergrad: $18,481.50
University of Texas total cost for in-state undergrad: $25,704 – 27,096

Also, when I mentioned that OU was just about the least expensive of all top 50 public universities, that was based on tuition AND fees.

The bottom line is that for the quality of education, OU is a great bargain, even with the recent -- and necessary -- increases.
Pete,

I'm sorry to disagree, but I must point out your error. The site you linked to includes numerous categories for cost and you focused in on the $18,481.50, however, you did not include what is "disclosed" by the *.

*This estimate includes 30 credit hours, per hour fees and per semester fees. A number of public institutions report annual cost based on minimum full-time enrollment (24 credit hours). Mandatory fees include: academic facility and life safety, special event, activity, assessment, network connectivity, student facility, library, security services, transit, health, cultural, records and academic advising fees. Note: All costs subject to change. Mandatory fees listed above do not include college or course-specific fees. There are additional college specific technology and enrichment fees in many courses

Please note: This DOES NOT include the Academic Excellence fee of $60.00 per credit hour, nor does it include the college specific fees (engineering as an example) of $46.50 per credit hour. That is an additional $106.50 per credit hour NOT INCLUDED in your calculation, or an additional $3,408 per year (32 hours). Plus the semester fees not included. Same OU website, different page explaining tuition. This makes OU total tuition and fees about $22,000 per year. Tuition & Fees

Recheck your citation for Texas, you used the total cost (including books, room and board) for the $25K to $27K. Read through the prior paragraph on your citation and you will see:

Estimated Undergraduate Flat-Rate Tuition and Fees (2013 – 14)

Texas resident $9,346 – 10,738
Non-resident $32,422 – 37,160

FACT: From your own sources, Texas is between $18,700 to $21,400 (tuition & fees) .... OU about $22,000 year (tuition and fees). Without question, Texas is less than OU (as I initially stated) and Texas is a much better school. Texas is a member of the Association of American Universities, a group of 62 nationally recognized research universities including Stanford, MIT, Colummbia, Duke, Harvard, Rice, The UNIVERSITY OF TEXAS at AUSTIN, etc. OU can only dream of ever being a part of this. Association of American Universities

Please, please, please read through your sources again, checking the total cost. The fact you are confused and making the wrong assumption proves my point of OU being misleading at best.