Steve, no apology necessary. We're good.

I don't propose meth labs, brothels and the like anywhere because they are illegal. Similarly I don't propose allowing a hot sauce plant next to a single family neighborhood because that's contrary to how we zone our city. C'mon people, these things are obvious, they don't happen, and this isn't what we're talking about.

If we're talking about the city recovering the cost of providing municipal services due to police and fire responses to a property, then charge per response the same way that police charge for responding to repeated burglar alarms (they do - I paid them when a commercial alarm system went on the fritz at a business location I own). In fact, if a large bar (think of the big ones along I-40) has police called repeatedly on weekends, the owner should pay for that as well. Do you need police for a funeral procession? Absolutely charge for these things. But don't raise the owner's taxes because his property is vacant and poorly-maintained.

BTW, I think I DO have a meth lab next to my house! It's a rent house with people coming & going all hours of the day & night, and I've had several discussions with the police. The neighbors and I would love to be rid of them, but everyone's hands are tied until an illegal act is witnessed and reported. Next to my office is a property where the owner never cuts his grass. We report it to the city all the time, they cut the grass, and assess the owner the cost.