I don't usually try to plaster my blog entries on this great site, but forgive me for doing so just this time:

A couple of great stories appeared at www.okcbusiness.com recently about Capitol Hill, Oklahoma City’s forgotten southside downtown. It’s difficult to dismiss comments from Mr. Anderson, a regular poster here at www.okctalk.com. His opinions aren’t always popular, but in this regard, his family’s history in southside business and civic affairs merits some attention on this particular subject. In this post, he also refers to David Sellers, who continues to publish the community’s Capitol Hill Beacon.

So let’s first get into what Anderson has to say:

“I know David Sellers and will say this. He is a big dreamer. His newspaper, if you want to call it that, is nothing more than a gossip column with stories about Maud's dog running across the street and jumping on Gert's bed. He has said for years that Capitol Hill would be restored. I have yet to see any real progress, and will not believe it until I see it. Probably looking down from my office in heaven after I die.

Yes. There are memories. Just that... Memories. The TG&Y, Zales, Emmers, Langston's, Lavine's, my dad's stock brokerage dealership, Fred Jones, Eskridge Oldmobile, Otasco and more. However, those are gone. Even Anderson-Bryant & Co. We sold it in 1989. I remember walking up and down Commerce while my mom was picking up orders from my dad to pick up stock from First Fedelity in the First National tower (we later bought First Fedelity) (sp). Anderson-Bryant was a big part of my life and of the Hill's life.

However, David Sellers only dreams. I see no action, and I doubt I will ever see any. I think someone should buy the roughly six square miles, tear it down and build a motion picture studio. At least it would not look like a slum or the downtown of smallville USA"

Now, here are some comments on www.virtualtourist.com, by a Vancouver resident:

“The Capitol Hill Main Street district is due south of downtown and is the centre of the city's Latin oriented commerce. While development has been much slower than other Bricktown or the Asian District, Capitol Hill does host many restaurants and retail outlets that would leave you to believe you were actually in Mexico.

It is tough to say exactly what direction the district will take but hopefully with the N. Canadian river (Oklahoma river) re-development and the apparent desire to return to the inner city interest in Capital Hill will recover more strongly.

At least do this: Walk the street and experience the local shops, restaurants, and flavour of the district. Oh, and by the way, knowledge of Espanol may be helpful."

Now, here is what I’ve got to say:

I’m what some would describe as being a “building hugger.” I value our city’s architecture, and the Capitol Hill has an abundance of original architecture beckoning back to a time when southsiders considered the area centered around Southwest 29th and Robinson Avenue to be their downtown. Capitol Hill was home to a J.C. Penneys, John A. Browns, Langstons, a bank, bakery, at least three theaters, grocery stores, and dozens of other shops and restaurants.

Whereas downtown Oklahoma City was torn down in the 1970s, Capitol Hill simply died from neglect. I understand Anderson’s cynicism; he’s surely heard numerous stories and schemes about how his old haunt would come back to life, only to be disappointed. As for Sellers, he’s a quaint reminder of what used to be; at one time, his newspaper was published at least twice a week (you can find microfilm of the 1950s editions of his paper at the downtown library).

Yes, Capitol Hill is dogged with poverty in surrounding neighborhoods and prostitutes on Robinson Avenue. But the area has a ton of potential, especially being so close to the river and with so much of the original architecture still standing. But dangers persist; ask the people redeveloping Deep Deuce how much they wish the Aldridge Theater and Slaughers Hall hadn’t been torn down by those writing the area off. It was tragic to see Capitol Hill’s Redskin Theater torn down earlier this year. It was also sad to see the Oklahoma Opry move out.

Some say Capitol Hill won’t truly join the ranks of Paseo, Bricktown and Stockyards City as recovering historic districts until the battle between the old south and the new Hispanic population ends. It’s a battle that ultimately will be won by the Hispanic residents, but can Capitol Hill stay intact until then?

So, what can we do? I know there are some talented folks out there, reading this page and others promoting Oklahoma City. I’ve tried to find a web site that promotes Capitol Hill and its history. To date, I’ve found none.

I will offer the following deal; I’ll feature Capitol Hill’s history and current events for a straight week in mid to late December. I’ll provide links and resources for photos and art of its history. I’d be delighted if one of you takes this material and assembles it into a web page.

Think about it… you contribute the html know how and I’ll provide the copy.

- The Downtown Guy
www.downtownguy.blogspot.com