Quote Originally Posted by Just the facts View Post
1) Building more lakes is not the answer - in fact, that is the problem. Only so much water passes through Oklahoma and building more lakes is just chasing dimensioning returns. The idea of a lake in general is that it catches and holds runoff at above normal times for use later during below normal time. The problem is when you past the half-way point and demand is higher than what can be produced in an average year. You can have all the storage capacity you want but if there isn't rainwater to fill it then big deal. The more capacity we build the more rainfall it takes to fill it and we can't make it rain any more than it already is. If our capacity can only be filled by extreme wet years then we are just setting ourselves up for even bigger future problems. I can open all the checking accounts I want but it doesn't change the fact my income doesn't change, I just have more place to keep it.
They are not building a lake in there current plan, the lake they are planing on building a pipeline to was built thirty years ago and it is still near it's full capacity now.

The two lakes OKC currently has access to are in dynamically opposite conditions; Canton is in trouble, Atoka even in the worst of this drought was at least near capacity the entire time, it has been in the flood stages at times. Partly due to Atoka's and Sardis's catchment areas generally receives more than three to four times as much rain per square inch as Canton's catchment area.