I recently started reading The Charter of the New Urbanism and it is full of interesting ideas that could be applied in OKC. The book is available for free from the link below.

http://www.cnu.org/sites/files/charter_book.pdf

In Chapter 5 I came across a section about how to use open space to define the edges of neighborhoods. In modern OKC streets and plat maps define the boundaries between neighborhoods but it would be better to use natural features to not only define the boundaries, but to also connect neighborhoods.

Neighborhood edges should meld seamlessly,
except where natural barriers, large green spaces,
freeways, or other boundaries provide a prominent
edge. It’s important to design with the features of
the land to define urban boundaries and establish
a sense of identity. A ring of green around every
neighborhood isn’t necessary.
With this in mind I got thinking how this could be applied in OKC. I think rehabilitating Lightning Creek through South OKC would be a good place to reintroduce the concept of urban nature back into OKC.

Over the years Lightning Creek has been turned into OKC's version of the LA River. It is currently a glorified concrete drainage ditch that is off-limits to anyone except maintenance workers. The chain-link fence makes sure of that. It doesn't have to be this way.

If the creek was restored to its natural state with trees, meanders in the creek bed, or even a series of low water dams the creek could be turned into a very nice 5 mile long park while keeping the flood control protections in place. Homes near the creek would need to be removed and replaced with bike paths, trees, and water features.

I would much rather live next to a park than what is there now.

Here is an urban creek in downtown Greenville, SC