Quote Originally Posted by Pete Brzycki View Post
But even through the worst recession in decades, oil prices have gone way up and pretty much stayed there. They might come down some but as I mentioned before, there will always be a strong demand for domestic oil & gas.
Our energy base sometimes keeps me awake at night. The fact is that the world is desperately working to find alternatives to energy that doesn't require killing ourselves by the burning of fossil fuels. Not everyone is as enthusiastic about the energy industry as some like Jim Cramer on CNBC (who I think would shine Aubrey McClendon's shoes every morning if asked). The simple fact is that Oklahoma City is one discovery away from disaster and implosion without diversification, and that only dribbles our way. We've hooked our wagon to a dying industry. It's not a matter of 'if' but 'when.' People around here don't like to hear talk like this for obvious reasons, but the truth is staring at us in the face and we continue to move ahead as if oil & gas has anything but a short-term future. I hate to sound pessimistic, but what I'm writing isn't wild fancy - read Ray Kurzweil and others who fully expect an alternative energy that will develop almost overnight and will leave the burning of fossil fuels to the history books. Where does that leave Oklahoma City?